Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denied warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:39 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Default Denied warranty claim

Anyone know of a warranty claim that was denied based on the car being driven on a track? Anyone know of a claim that was initially denied but later reversed? If so, how? Go to another dealer? Go up the ladder from the dealer to PCNA???
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:12 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I've never heard of a Porsche warranty claim being denied just because the car was driven on track. I think it would be a rare dealer indeed who would do so. But this is a very good question, and I'll certainly pay close attention to the responses. Our local dealer recently sponsored a track event at VIR as a by-invitation-only customer appreciation event. The owner/CEO of the dealership was there tracking his new GT3 RS, so it never crossed my mind that participation in this event might provide a basis for denying future warranty work.

In your case, my understanding (probably much like yours) is that dealers use some discretion about what they submit as warranty work. Warranty claims from dealers are evaluated and approved (or not) by PCNA in Atlanta. I've heard about some dealer-submitted warranty claims not being approved at that level, but I've never heard of a dealer's claim refusal being reversed at that level. Thus, I'm interested in learning what happens in your case. In fact, I'm also interested in learning the details of your case, if you'd be willing to supply them.
Old 06-30-2007 | 08:12 PM
CP
Race Director

Jim,

I'm too lazy to find the thread here on RL, but I believe I've read a thread (pretty big one at that) from a 996tt, (or 996GT3?) owner claim denied by Porsche for tracking his car.

I also remember reading that Porsche denied warranty claims on PCCBs with track use.

CP
Old 07-01-2007 | 12:16 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I did a search on "warranty claims denied" and read the responses in the other RL forums you posted this question on. I don't think I learned anything new from all that, except what the problem is with your 996. A worn 2nd gear syncro could be due to abuse, or to a manufacturing defect. My understanding is that they pay for the fix only if they think it's the latter. Dealers should know if 996 2nd gear syncros are a weak point (have a history of early wear) and, if so, should repair under warranty. If there's no history of such early syncro faliures, they're not likely to repair with a warranty claim. I still think that it's a rare dealer who refuses to consider a warranty claim just because the car has been tracked. I know that's small consolation if your dealer happens to be one of the rare ones.

Quick Reply: Denied warranty claim