Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast is a base Boxster / Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Porsche always underrates performance figures. Acceleration figures are alwasy a little conservative. With the 997 Carrera S, they quoted a 0-60 in 4.6 while all the magazines got 3.9-4.3. Motor Trend just tested the new base Boxster in their latest issue and got a 0-60 in 5.6 and a 1/4 in 14.1 @ 99.6. This was with the standard 5-sp, but a 6-sp is option. I don't think I would spend the expense for the 6-sp option as the 1st and 2nd gears are actually taller with the 6-sp than the 5-sp. Basically the new Boxster is very much on par with the performance of early 250 hp 986 Boxster S.

From having both 987 Boxsters and Coxsters (Caymans - aka Coupe-Boxsters) as service loaners, I agree on your assessment. I have driven a couple 986 Boxsters (including S models) in the past and they never felt quite complete. The engine was obnoxiously noise, the suspension feel was a little out of balance and they were a little lacking in quality (all the ones I drove had bad rattles).

My first experiences with the 987 were very different. The engines are nicely muted. The mechanical noises from the engine no longer penetrate into the cabin. In fact, the engine fan on the passenger side is lounder than the noise from the engine. The standard exhaust has a very nice tone, like a sports exhaust. The power with the base 2.7l feels very good with godd low end torque, so you don't have to peg the tach whenever you drive it. The midrange torque feels very smooth and flat. The chassis structure is a lot tighter and the top is significantly tighter. Best of all, the handling is greatly improved.

I actually prefer the handling of the 987 Boxster over the Cayman. The front suspension feels stiff and direct, while the back is firm; but not too firm. It makes the car a point-and-shoot type car. You can set the front and and control the back end nicely with your right foot. The Cayman is different in that they softened the front end some and stiffened the back end. I notice with the Cayman that the front end start getting light under power in turns above 50 mph. As a result, I have to start working steering input while in a Boxster it stays true. The back end of the Cayman is stiffer and has noticeably more grip. So much so, that I can never get the back end to lose grip and slide like I can in a Boxster. While the Boxster is so neutral, I find nothing but understeer at the limit with the Cayman.

On top of this, why does the Bose in the Boxster sound so much better than the Cayman? The Cayman only get 2 speakers behind you, but it is so poorly balanced. The sound is very noticeable as coming completely from the front. With the Bose in the Boxster, it fills nicely and surrounds you with noise. Other things I noticed are with the glass windblocker in place, top down and windows up that the Boxster is very pleasent to drive. You can hear the stereo at normal volumes and have a normal conversation top down at 90 mph. Considering that the Boxster cost less and handles better than the Coxster, I am still wondering what is the value of the fixed roof version other than a styling exercise?

I think the 987 Boxster is a fine car. I would even prefer a base 987 Boxster over a 986 Boxster S simply by how improved the chassis is.

Doug,

You need to test drive a 987. Your comments are right inline with the 986 2.5l, but you will be shocked at the improved low and mid-range response of the new 2.7l variocam engine. It actually feels a lot like the 3.0L in the Z4.
I couldn't agree more with your observations on the 987 Boxster. I first test drove a Boxster in 2001 and I wasn't impressed for the reasons that you pointed out. About six months ago I test drove a Cayman S and I fell in love with the car after about a five minute test drive. Although I was very tempted to buy the car, I knew that I could never enjoy a car without it at least having a sun roof. I live and work in the country, and I enjoy top down driving from March to November. So I test drove a Boxster S and then almost on a whim, I test drove a Boxster, not really thinking that I would enjoy the car. What a surprise. Great handling, decent low end power, and beautiful interior and exterior, and to top it off great gas mileage. In my view it is one of the best cars made for the street for those who put a high premium on a car's feedback and handling.

Quick Reply: How fast is a base Boxster / Cayman