Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time 987S Drivers? Possible new 987S owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Roadstar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Thanks to Ben and Lowside for making it harder by posting those sweet looking rides. The M is so raw looking.

I thought about hooking up the s2k with the supercharger and setting up the suspension. Same thing with the M roadster. the price difference in the M and the Porsche I can use it to hook up the suspension. However, I do not think the hooks could ever feel the same to a Mid Engine layout. I love the way it settles into a turn. I'm leaning toward the Porsche. Straight line driving doesn't impress me.

Price isn't a factor to me. If I can save a couple of grand, it would be nice. What I want is a performance car that won't give me too much headaches down the line. I'd like to keep a car for some time, beyond 50k miles and continue to grow with it. When the wear items go bad, I can replace them with performance pieces or as I need them when my driving skills grow. I'm glad to hear that the current owner of the 987 have little issues. It makes me feel a bit better.

Sucks to hear that the chip and exhaust didn't do more than help response. Usually a chip would do a little something.

I spoke to my dealer to see if they can get me a 987s that has been broken in. Also to give me some specifics on the after market extended warranty. Once he finds one i'm going to schedule a test drive with the M Roadster and Porsche in the same day. I'm thinking of the s2k still, but it's tougher sell. I used to own one and I have to be above 6500rpms to get any power. I got used to the M3's engine with the gradual build up. I'll keep you all posted to let you know which one talks to me.

Lowside, Have you had any issues with yours? What made you pick the M over the 987s, and what makes you still think of switching her in for a Porsche?

msh26, How many miles do you have on your 987s?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
msh26
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roadstar
msh26, How many miles do you have on your 987s?
I have almost 20K worth of permagrin miles not counting the number of "lookbacks" in parking lots and garages.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 AM
gs
Track Day

Default One perspective

I've put 30,000 miles on a 2005 987 S in a little over two years. Including track and autocross.

The engine blew a couple of months ago (on the freeway; hadn't been to the track in months.) It was replaced under warranty.

I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat. And I don't intend to ever sell it.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am a long time owner of Porsches

I have owned both the 986 and the 987 so I can compare both for you.

I am currently on my second Boxster. I have an 05 Boxster S that has 9500 miles on it. I have not had any mechanical problems with it as of yet.
My 01 Boxster 2.7 had the RMS issue at about 13K but was fixed quickly by the dealer. I hardly noticed it and never reappeared. There was no other issue with it mechanically after that. I put 56K on that car. I drove that car hard most of the time.
It was my daily driver and handled very well. Maintenance was not an issue, since it was under warranty most of my ownership. If you are concerned about cost then you may want something more reliable. Porsche's are not cheap when they have to be serviced, but I have found the Boxster to be very reliable compared to previous 911 and 928 ownerships. I have spent lots more money on my 911's and 928 in less time.
I have even been surprised that the Boxster doesn't require service like my previous P-Cars. My family was surprised that I purchased a second one even though I told them i would be getting a 997.
I enjoy the current setup that the car offers and don’t really feel I need to make modification to the suspension. I have PASM, Sport Chrono, PSM and many other goodies to help in case of a track day.

I hope this helps you out!

Quick Reply: Long time 987S Drivers? Possible new 987S owner