Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayman steering feel

I'd like to hear from previous 993, 996, 997 owners, how you compare the steering feel to the Cayman. I have a standing test drive offer at a local dealer but have no reason to go right now and he's not close . The reason I ask is I find my 993 steering is a little squirrel-ly at lower speed but rock solid over 100. Just would like feedback from those who know both types of cars.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's bet's recent post about comparing his new ride to his 996:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/345470-new-ride-for-me.html
Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a 993 Ruf BTR (2WD) and a base Cayman. Surprisingly, the steering feel of the 993 is much better (to me at least) than the Cayman. But that's not a fair fight, and here's why:

The Ruf has PSS9s and are are ROW ride height, and TRG sways. Just that alone make the 993 much more communicative in terms of turn in, and steering feel. With the 993, I truly feel everthing on the road, the Cayman feel much more insulated in comparison.

There are 2 parts to steering feel, turn in and exit. On the exit side, the Ruf has much (MUCH) more power so I can throttle steer a lot more than the Cayman, so the 993 is much more lively and responsive as I can change my turn radii at will just using my right foot, especially in high speed corners. The Cayman is sorely lacking in that department

All in all, the Cayman is an excellent car. I have a Miata, and drove other light-weight sports cars extensively. I'd say the Cayman road feel is first rate. Just so happened that I have an uber 993 so it doesn't stand a chance.

Once I hit 50k miles (read toasted OEM shocks) I'd do the PSS9s and sways on my Cayman. That may re-write my response. Time will tell.

CP
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compared to my 993, I prefer my CS' overall steering feel. It's as precise as the 993, but turn in is much crisper. I think the combination of a more sophisticated suspension and mid-engine platform account for that. I found my 993's front end would get light at speed making it a bit skittish, especially with cross winds. I've not found that with the CS. It's extremely confidence inspiring and rock solid up to the mid 3 figures I've had it.

For reference, my 993 suspension was ROW M030 w/HD Bilsteins, lowered, but not slammed, w/an aggressive street (not track) alignment and 18s. My CS has PASM w/18s for track & 19s for street.

Quick Reply: Cayman steering feel