Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modding their base Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 AM
fletch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone modding their base Cayman?

Wondering if anyone was planning on modding there Base Cayman with headers, exhaust, intake, ecu etc??
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 AM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to change the exhaust on mine as it is a bit too polite. The Porsche sports exhaust is too expensive, and too complicated, and most of the aftermarket stuff so far seems aimed at the S model. I will probably leave it until the warranty is out though.

Most of the stuff I have seen advertised seems to assume that anyone interested in modding must by definition have the S, which is a shame as the 2.7 engine is just ripe for a bit of tweakery.

McJohn
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
fletch
Advanced

I thought the exhausts out there and intakes etc were for the 2.7 as well. Perhaps they are not suited.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look over at the Boxsters for some Cayman (non-S) performance parts...
Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McJohn
I would like to change the exhaust on mine as it is a bit too polite. The Porsche sports exhaust is too expensive, and too complicated, and most of the aftermarket stuff so far seems aimed at the S model. I will probably leave it until the warranty is out though.

Most of the stuff I have seen advertised seems to assume that anyone interested in modding must by definition have the S, which is a shame as the 2.7 engine is just ripe for a bit of tweakery.

McJohn
I seriously doubt an aftermarket exhaust will void your warranty - get it now so you can enjoy it!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

You could mod it for sound, but trying to get more HP, etc., I would agree with others that the 2.7L is the wrong engine to start with unless you plan on ripping it out and fitting a different engine entirely. Also, compared to the 3.4L, the "plumbing" is correspondingly less restrictive for the 2.7L. These engines are pretty close to maxed out. The intake/exhaust are the main areas that Porsche improved for the 987 series over the 986 series. Any small gains with bolt-ons will be proportionally even smaller with a 2.7L.

Quick Reply: Anyone modding their base Cayman?