Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SharkWerks Project Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

We've not had a lot of time to play with our own toys as of late but something that I've always changed in any Porsche I've owned is the steering wheel. No matter whether it's a 996 or 997/987 they're just on the skinny side for me. I've always gone with the "thicker" Tech Art steering wheels which do not require any wheel adapters or the like. They fit perfectly and here's a before and after.

Before:

After

Folks, if you're installing a wheel and need to disconnect the air bag to do so please please remember to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first. It'll save you from any Airbag lights or worse...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Alex,

I was courious if you've got any Thill lap times for your Cayman. I was at Thill this last weekend with PCA-GGR and and there was a few Caymans on track. Matter of fact one of them looped RIGHT in front of me in turn 3 (after I let him by). He was definately faster than my 993, but all of the PASM in the world could not stop him from spinning when he got on the outer edge of that off-camber turn

I'm really impressed with the speed of these little creatures though.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,666 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Spuds993
Hey Alex,

I was courious if you've got any Thill lap times for your Cayman. I was at Thill this last weekend with PCA-GGR and and there was a few Caymans on track. Matter of fact one of them looped RIGHT in front of me in turn 3 (after I let him by). He was definately faster than my 993, but all of the PASM in the world could not stop him from spinning when he got on the outer edge of that off-camber turn

PASM is active suspension
PSM is the gizzy that MAY save you at times.

fully stock, they should easily do 2:10 at TH with cyclone
modded with RA1 and good coil overs 2:06 is possible.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

Thanks Mooty, we were camped out down at the entrance to turn 1, and could really hear the 997S and Cayman S traction systems struggling to maintain under breaking and turn-in. But I really can't keep all of the Porsche alphabet soup options straight I guess

Interesting on the lap times, seemed like the Cayman should be a little quicker than 2:10 stock, but 2:06 is stout. This was my 2nd weekend at Thill with the 993, RA-1, MO30 suspension only (but I've driven the track a lot in my previous 911) and I was into the 2:12s. Felt like I was going to need to open the wallet to go much faster (PSS9s, Kuhmo 710, LSD).

Maybe the Cayman S is the cheaper route in the long run...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

cayman s is about same speed as 993 if equally modded with equal drivers.

i played with H Demas (occasional rennlister LOL) at TH. he's much better than me. i think he kicked my *** by 1 or 1.5 seconds with cyclone. i did 2:07 that day.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
cayman s is about same speed as 993 if equally modded with equal drivers.

i played with H Demas (occasional rennlister LOL) at TH. he's much better than me. i think he kicked my *** by 1 or 1.5 seconds with cyclone. i did 2:07 that day.
Dude.. harry is our hero Finally _someone_ faster than you I can only imagine what harry could do in my 800hp monster one day.. if I get my **** out there...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Alex,

We will get times shortly for ya.. but bear in mind just because we build... doesn't mean we can drive At least not as well as Mooty... I'm not keen on PASM but I think you mean the PSM... PSM does some very strange/eratic stuff on the track. Sometimes too much control by the ECU (kinda like Skynet in the Terminator) can lead to dangerous results. I remember one time I was bombing down to the final two turns at Thunderhill coming in hard and fast and at the time there was some time of bump and one of the wheels got a bit airborne and the PSM kicked in (even though it was off). It then proceeded to cut the throttle, apply brake and the weight shifted like mad and I couldn't even make a right turn. It just went straight off.....
Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

"PSM does some very strange/eratic stuff on the track" is it defeatable via a switch?

Bummer if its "always on" I don't really relish all of the black box car control intervention...
Old 04-07-2007, 04:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

"PSM does some very strange/eratic stuff on the track" is it defeatable via a switch?

Bummer if its "always on" I don't really relish all of the black box car control intervention...
you can turn it off, but it will continue to monitor.
if you are way out of shape, it will come back, even if you dont touch the brake pedal.

however, when it comes back AFTER you turn it off, it means you really messed up and sucked, and most likely without it comign back, you would be on the wall.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's right mooty. On the TT's it goes off _every_ time one wheel or more lifts off of the ground. It doesn't like it...

Finally got an exhaust on the car and got ride of those tips. Sounds is much much better too but not too loud. Video/pix to come.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok guys so here's the first thing we did, which is go with the Brembo F50 brake kit for the fronts (there isn't really anything out for the rears but it's not really needed anyway). We're going to be testing these out at Thunderhill and Reno Fernely shortly. We had these on our 996 track car as have the more track-orientated 996 customers. There's a good amount of pad choices for these. These aren't really a street (or bling) kit and as you can see it uses two-piece light weight slotted rotors (for better cooling properties). The four piston calipers are from the F40/50 and also weigh less than stock so a bit of weight savings here...

Back to bling now, we went with the tech art front lip (blacked out the fog lights) and tech art side skirts. As you'd expect from those guys, it just plain fits (no issues).

We're also trying out a new exhaust alternative (one that's a bit deeped/louder than the milltek) so more on this later. And yes I promise I'll post a video of the car revving with that light weight flywheel (honestly my favorite mod to these cars to date).
Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

sick, i like it.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Nice! Thanks for all the pics/info
Old 10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
sick, i like it.
Heh thanks man... Notice the TC design tow-hook? I told Tony I gotta sell some of those for him. fits the 996s as well and is a lot nicer than the other ones I've seen. Hey and good luck man I hear 2mins is gonna get cracked soon
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i love tony's tow hooks.
i just leave them on the car permanently.

two min with cyclone is very hard for me.
maybe by this time next year i'll have a chance.

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Project Cayman S