Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S options

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the Original Poster has listed his location as Germany, why is one assumuing that a Z06 is 1) readily available 2) Cheaper than a CS and 3) He will be running in SCCA Events?

Is the Z06 a better AX car? yes. That wasn't the question. The question is what CS options should he pursue in his purchase.

I am suprised to hear about GT3 depreciation being an issue. In the States, a used GT3 can be had for the same money as well option CS or base (new)997.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wushuhsu
You might have better results in a Corvette than a Porsche Cayman S. It's a better engineered car, judging by autocross and Ring times.
Sure a C6 is a faster autocross or roadcourse car than a Cayman S. However, it has nothing to do with being a better engineered car. It has everything to do with 100 extra HP.

Spend 10 minutes behind the wheel of both of these cars and it becomes instantly clear that these car share little in common (besides 2 seats).

The Cayman is a scalpel. The steering and balance are perfectly weighted the car just does everything "right". The C6 is an axe. It's brawny, raw, and powerful but it has no finese. It does not have near the feel of the Porsche.

If you want to put big numbers up get the C6. If you want a total package get the CS.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I've owned 20 Porsches of almost every possible iteration, and a few Corvettes, including a C5 Z06.

Trust me, unless you are driving a heavily modded Porsche or a GT3, even a first generation, well-driven Z06 will smoke a CS' a$$, regardless of the options ordered...unless you can talk Werk I into installing one of those 415 hp 3.8's and some H&R coilovers.

Porsches are a lot more entertaining to drive, but "entertaining" and "fast" are not necessarily interchangeable terms. The build quality of the newer Corvettes isn't as bad as the Porsche snobs would lead you to believe.

With that said, at my advanced age I am perfectly content to be "entertained" by my underpowered Carrera as I negotiate the twisties. And I understand that I didn't answer the question, either. I just don't like car bashing, regardless of the marque.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

QUOTE: "I just don't like car bashing, regardless of the marque."

+1
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A buddy of mine picked up his brand new Z06 from Nashville this week and drove down to Atlanta to show it to me. While it was an awesome car, it's a totally different experience than the one I get in my 993. I don't think I'd trade, but I respect his choice.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Is this the new corvett forum?

I also wonder why, when someone asks for a discussion on options on a cayman some idiot chips in buy a yank tank......what was difficult to understand in the question?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Irish D, it's a cultural digression BTW while we're off the subject, where are Z06 prices these days?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wushuhsu
1. Sure.
2. Finland made Porsche.
3. That would be scary. Caymans all over the world are quivering at the thought of a Corvette pulling up next to them at the traffic light. And to complete the nightmare, there are so many Porsche-killing Corvettes out there, it'd be hard to hide all the time.
4. Don't care about being snobby. Just give me the better car, debadged even, if it'll be $20,000 (average Porsche car profit) less.
5. Maybe because it does. Track times don't lie.
So if you'd rather own (Or already own) a Corvette, why do you waste your time trolling a Porsche forum?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by designman
Irish D, it's a cultural digression BTW while we're off the subject, where are Z06 prices these days?
Aaahhhh Now I understand, If I want to discuss Cayman suspension I should post on the corevtte forum.

Corvettes don't work in Europe because not all of our roads are straight.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 AM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
So if you'd rather own (Or already own) a Corvette, why do you waste your time trolling a Porsche forum?
Actually, what I really want is a Porsche Cayman with a 3.8L engine. I'm not asking Porsche AG to spend a billion dollars developing a new engine, which is what I heard it costs to develop a new engine nowadays. Just take the existing 3.8 it already has and put it in the Cayman. From all the tuners that have done it, it's a straightforward drop in due to the many shared components among the Porsches. It should be even easier for Porsche AG to do, since they can make other changes while they're at it. And, due to lower inventory holding costs and parts sharing, they'd make even more profits selling the 3.8 Cayman than they do now selling the 3.4 Cayman S, which I understand is something on the order of $20,000 per car. Porshe AG would make boatloads of money selling a 3.8 Cayman. Even if 911 buyers start buying 3.8 Caymans, there's no need to feel bad for Porsche with all the profits they're making, especially given how they priced it higher than the Boxster, which probably costs more to make than the Cayman. I heard the Cayman was Porsche's most profitable car, so if it sells more Caymans, then that' s more money for Porsche.

I've got the money for a 911, but as much as Porsche marketing wants to sell me a 911 instead of a Cayman, for me, it's only the 3.8 Cayman that I want.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:00 AM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Corvettes don't work in Europe because not all of our roads are straight.
As the great Isaac Asimov wrote, "A straight road is the sign of an advanced civilization."

Quick Reply: Cayman S options