Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone read the April Excellence commentary??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did anyone read the April Excellence commentary??

The jist of it was that Porsche should consider making a lightweight version of the base Cayman for those of us who like a more track oriented car.

Since we know that PAG will never build anything that threatens the 911 in terms of performance and that the Cayman S is not far from that the base Cayman could be tweaked to provide a more track oriented experience and be less than half the cost of the GT3.

Sounds like a winner to me !
Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Yes, I did read the article, and I agree with your conclusion about its possibility. It won't happen. The CS is enough of a threat to the 997 without making it more so.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
The jist of it was that Porsche should consider making a lightweight version of the base Cayman for those of us who like a more track oriented car.

Since we know that PAG will never build anything that threatens the 911 in terms of performance and that the Cayman S is not far from that the base Cayman could be tweaked to provide a more track oriented experience and be less than half the cost of the GT3.

Sounds like a winner to me !
if you just put on some very high end shox on a stock cayman, it will be very very formidable on track. i say this from experience.

now if you want porsche to make a more track oriented cayman, dont hold your breath.

you can do one yourself, but it will be around 30k (assuming you have a shop do it for you, DIY would be cheaper of course).

now, that 30k does NOT include any engine, tranny, exhaust mods .

for 30k, you will get: roll cage, harness, nice race seats (not cheap crap, i am talking omp, rece tech or spg hans racer: things you see in factory race cars), moton/jrz/leda, custom sway bars, springs, brake ducts, light wt wheels, race pads, tires, nicely gutted interior, fire system, cut off switch... things like that.

i find most ppl grossly underestimate the cost to build a REAL and NICE track car. i have NEVER seen ANYONE building a car that came UNDER their orig budget, unless they do the work themselves and discount the labor cost. if you dont blow your budget by 150%, you are doing WELL.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:49 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know all to well about the cost to convert a street car to a track beast although I've managed to keep it a secret from the boss so far. See my sig below...

BTW, I heard a rumour that you might be getting rid of the CS??? Since it's already set up maybe it would be time to move up another 85 HP or so...hmmmm

Quick Reply: Did anyone read the April Excellence commentary??