Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Owners Club Events in 2007, and your ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Porsche Owners Club Events in 2007, and your ...

feedback and input is needed......

Election for the Porsche Owners Club (POC), a S. California Driving Club, Board of Directors were held earlier this month. I ran for a seat, and was successful in this (Be careful what you wish for!).

It appears my responsibilities will be focused around promotion of the POC Short Track Series (STS) and the POC Solo Sprint Series (SSS) aka Time Trials. I am looking for ideas from POC members, and those drivers that frequent the track with other Clubs such as PCA, Alfa Club, the Pantera Club, etc.

1. If you have not done a POC STS continuous lab event, and you want some track experience, what is holding you back?

2. For those that have attended a recent POC event, how can the STS and SSS events be improved?

3. Do you know of any SoCal venues where we can hold a STS continuous laps event?

4. If you have not yet entered a Time Trial, what has been holding you back?

5. Any general suggestions you have:

I will read your Rennlist response. However feel free to send me an e-mail rather than clutter up Rennlist mfschacht@gmail.com

Best regards,

Martin Schacht
POC Board of Directors
Old 12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty,
Congratulation! Now here is my suggestion to improve POC.
1. Ten performance points added to every shop owner who compets.
2. Bring back tech inspection at the track or host hotel on friday nights.
(best way to bring back comradery)
3. Clean up the "V" class as these are disguised race cars and couldn't pass a CHP inspection for
street use.
4. Develop a class for guys who drive their cars to the track.

If you can get 3 out of 4 I'm back.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool We have a winner here...

First of all, with a GT3 RS on order, we are going to have to make a special class for you. Cover that car in 3M tape and come out and in the appropriate class, whatever that is.....

I can't say which 3 out of 4, but work with me, check out my ideas below ....…we want you back Jimmy!

1. Ten performance points added to every shop owner who competes.

Sorry, I know where you are coming from, but the Shop Owner dynasty is long gone. There is not one (1) shop owner on the present POC Board. Lest I sound like a political hack, the Board members are all just like us, working stiffs, in various industries, no shop owners. Therefore I have met one (1) out of four (4) criteria.

2. Bring back tech inspection at the track or host hotel on Friday nights.
(best way to bring back camaraderie).

I really like this idea…you forgot one thing, the beer. I do remember hanging out shooting the breeze, a quaffing beer…need to prep for the next days run session with a nice little hangover! We can do this….give me two (2) out of three (3)!

3. Clean up the "V" class as these are disguised race cars and couldn't pass a CHP inspection for street use.

V class is in all reality, a race car class. The present POC rules don’t mandate the cars be legal for the street. Can’t help here…I am still at two (2) out of three(3)!

4. Develop a class for guys who drive their cars to the track.

We already have this, its called Exhibition class. EX class cars run what they brung but don’t compete for points. Example, at Streets, all non Porsche cars are EX class, whether it be a M-5 or a Miata. There is a trophy for EX class. I don’t see why we can’t have an EX trophy at the Big Tracks too.

I have met this criterion…that’s three (3) out of four (4) ….so therefore Jimmy, I expect to see you at an upcoming POC event running EX class.

We could develop a special Street Prepared class, but in order to have some order and decorum to this class, we would have to limit the Prepared points to five (5). Were it six (6), some character would come out on slicks…or the tires would somehow wind up on his car…smuggled into the pits by a wife or significant other.

One final proviso, drivers lacking a POC Cup Racing License are restricted to the Yellow and White Run Groups ….Don’t Hang Up Yet! We do have a provision for experienced drivers to do one (1) Racers Clinic with the goal of getting into an open passing group, the Orange or the Red run practice and qualifying groups. This is done on a case by case basis. Assuming the driver successfully completes one (1) POC Racers Clinic, and with permission of the VP of Motor Sports Jeff Melnick, at subsequent events, this driver may practice with the group that his car class dictates. With a 993 TT, this will be the Red Group. As you know the Orange and Red race groups have open passing, anywhere, anytime…as long as it is a safe pass…this is where the rubber meets the road.

Ask and you shall receive…come on out Jimmy The Fugitive, you are going to love it.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:49 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Marty,
Most modified 993tt will point out as a V1 or V2 car under POC rules. Since I don't like the classification system because I believe the origional intent of "V" was for streetable cars I would run in EX. What run group would I practice in? I want to run my car, but the last regime told be not to come back unless I had a cage in my car.
Secondly, would POC honor my PCA race license, since my POC time trial license was confiscated by the NeuPorsch Beach poolese.
Glad to see the changes in POC. I guess I'll have to live up to my word and come back to the Friday night tech.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool We'll keep a light on for you...we dont mind fugitives

Jimmy the Fugitive writes, "What run group would I practice in?" and "would POC honor my PCA race license?"

Your PCA Race License may be the equivalent of one Racers Clinic...I really can't say. Worst case you'd run in White until you finished your first Racers Clinic. The Clinics are offered in June and December.

I highly recommend the Racers Clinic..having completed my required two this past year. POC Philosophy, there is open passing, racing style, on the right, on the left, no signal required, in the Orange and Red Groups....with this in place, the driver needs to know how to drive in intense traffic, and off line. In the words of the Racers Clinic Instructors, "We need you to show us" that you have what it takes to drive in these conditions. POC has really changed since the days of Action Jackson et al.

I guess I'll have to live up to my word and come back to the Friday night tech.

Let me see if I can get the Friday Night tech rolling again....because of the consequences of a full on Race Car failing tech, these cars are always pre-tech'd at their respective shops.

We could possibly do a Friday night tech for the Time Trial entrants...possibly even a symbolic Tech...just an excuse to line up the cars and BS. We could do pizza and beer .....
Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Thanks Marty,
Since you posted this on the Cayman S forum, I know where your coming from. I can see hordes of the the Caymens taking over the club. If you've got a Cayman, you ought to take it out to the track. You might be the next Kevin Buckler or Bill Auberling, both started in POC.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool

Cayman S is a really fast car...it is at the top of the food chain in L class having the best HP to weight ratio....they could take over if they were not so busy doing other things.....

Quick Reply: Porsche Owners Club Events in 2007, and your ...