Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I do well on a 2007 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Did I do well on a 2007 Cayman S?

My wife and I went to the dealer today with no intentions of buying a Cayman S, just went for a test drive and to get a feel for which options we wanted, lead time, etc.

After being blown away by the test drive and encouraged by the salesperson to submit an offer, we ended up placing an order for fairly well optioned 2007 Cayman S built to our liking (Midnight Blue with Natural Brown Leather interior). The Cayman S optioned out to an MSRP of $75,105. We were able to secure an 8% discount from MSRP. Seems like I got a good deal, but did I? Hoping for reassurance or a good reason to cancel the deal.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-15-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 PM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a terrific color combo! Getting a new car for 8% off is never a 'bad" deal, have fun with your new toy!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Originally Posted by searching4996
That sounds like a terrific color combo! Getting a new car for 8% off is never a 'bad" deal, have fun with your new toy!
Thanks. We decided that if we were going to get a Cayman S, it may as well be configured the way we want it. Midnight Blue with the full Natural Brown Leather and 19" Carrera Sport wheels should be a stunning combination. To further the look, we added the Rear Center Console Painted Exterior Color, Steering Column in Interior Color Leather, Leather Steering Wheel, Chrome Exhaust Pipe, Xenons, and the Sport Chrono Package. Heated seats, PCM, Bose, and self-dimming mirrors round out our options choices.

Dealer also is throwing clear side markers.

Delivery may not be until end of March, but it should be worth the wait.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That car is going to be beautiful! The colors are great, and you have picked some very nice options.

I would say that 8% off on an 07 is a good deal. There is always someone out there who may feel you could have/should have done better, but I don't think you have anything to fret about. You are getting a superb car for a great price.

Congratulations and you MUST post pics in March!!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohhhh... MB over natural? My favorite!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stop worrying about the deal and start dreaming (drooling too) ...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Thank you for the compliments. We think we picked out a really nice color combination and the right assortment of design and functional options.

One option that my wife and I are still debating over is the Carrera White dials. The stock aluminum look dials look very nice, we just wonder if the white would look even better.

Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks a beautiful combo and sounds like a good deal for an ordered car.

I've got the white dials. They look nice, but it's one of those $700 marked-up options that you wonder about.

If you are both taking frequent turns at the wheel, go for the power seat package...the seat and mirror memory make it more convenient, plus you get the lumbar adjustment.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Sounds amazing I love blue & brown/beige. I have white gauges/dials/thingies...not too impressed for the $. Stick with aluminium I'd say.

I also second TAch Miami...maybe drop a few options and get power seats! It will eventually annoy you as you try to get that sweet spot in seating. It'll especially help in resale...many people will say "What!? A Porsche without power seats! He's crazy..." and then you'll be arguing saying "But look! I have a fancy clock on top of the dash!". At least that's how it plays out in my mind?? haha

Either way, awesome car, nice combo!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche UK have a handy ready reckoner for their dealers to help them work out a discount, so that everyone in the UK gets the same level of generosity.

They have a standard discount policy of ...

0%

Enjoy your car, and your discount.

McJ
Old 12-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Thank you. We appreciate everyone's feedback.

External color and leather combo are very subjective, and we love the Midnight Blue with Natural Brown leather combination.

Based on feedback from this forum and others, we have amended our configuration to include the following:

460 Leather Sport Steering Wheel (in place of 459 Leather Wheel)
XMP Leather Sun Visors
P15 Power Seat Package

Being 6'2", the only thing that worries me are the mixed reports on the Power Seat. Some say that the power seat does not move as far aft or go as low as the standard seat. Others report to the contrary. Since my wife and I will both drive the car, having seat memory is nice, plus the lumbar support, plus the seat angle adjustment, plus the dipping external rearview mirror all add up to nice features.

So, our new configuration is as follows:

E9 Midnight Blue Metallic
06 Natural Leather Brown
XLA Chrome Exhaust Pipe
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
P74 Bi-Xenon Headlight Package
P12 Self-Dimming Mirrors & Rain Sensor
XME Rear Center Console Painted Exterior Color
342 Heated Front Seats
M6H Natural Brown Floor Mats
P15 Power Seat Package
XNS Steering Column in Interior Color Leather
460 Sport Steering Wheel Leather
XMP Leather Sun Visors
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
680 Bose Surround Sound System
P16 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) 2.1

I know many have suggested PASM. While I have PASM on my Cayenne S and find it very useful for that vehicle, I do not think that it is warranted on the Cayman S as I have no intentions of taking it to the track - at least not regularly. We test drove a car with 19" wheels (though not XRR) without PASM and it was not particularly harsh.

I think that this will do it, the order should go to Porsche on Monday.

EDIT: We did end up adding PASM to the order based on feedback from this and other forums. Delivery is expected towards the end of March.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 02-11-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Dave DE
Racer

Sounds like a great deal on a nicely optioned car. I'm 6-2 and tried both power and manual seats. To me, they seemed to offer about the same amount of adjustment range. I opted not to get them because I was able to adjust the manual seat where I wanted it and I'm the only driver. In your situation, power sounds like a good choice.

I am very happy with the PASM. I enjoy the more compliant ride of the normal setting, along with the automatic firming that takes place when driving more agressively. It's a personal thing, and I have heard others report they are very happy with 19's and the standard suspension.

Hope the wait goes quickly!
Dave

Quick Reply: Did I do well on a 2007 Cayman S?