Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon Brights

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
The halogen is the actual high-beam
That would lead one to believe that the high beam is not Xenon!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Palting - are you 100% sure?
I had the Bi-xenons on my 987S and my 997S and i'm pretty sure the high beam is a standard halogen but that the low beams stay on while the high beam is on.
Incorrect.

If you FLASH your high beams, they will use a halogen bulb. If you use the "ON" setting of your high beams they will use a xenon bulb. This is because it isn't good to flash the xenon lights, they wont illuminate fully anyways in a short enough time.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
Incorrect.

If you FLASH your high beams, they will use a halogen bulb. If you use the "ON" setting of your high beams they will use a xenon bulb. This is because it isn't good to flash the xenon lights, they wont illuminate fully anyways in a short enough time.
With my 997S against a concrete wall the FLASH and the high beam ON yeild the same result which looks to me like a halogen high beam. The lower part is definitely more of a white color.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
That would lead one to believe that the high beam is not Xenon!
That's on the old Litronics. The new "Bi" -Xenons have HID on BOTH high and low beams.

I could not find where i put the quote from Porsche stating the fact that the Bi-Xenons have HID on both high and low beams.

I did one better! Just to convince myself, and maybe you guys. I have a 150 foot driveway with a white wall at the end. I backed both the 987S (Halogen) and the C4S (Bi-Xenons) down the drive, turned the lights on high beam, walked back up to the drive to the wall. C4S is definitely whiter and brighter. Purple haze too when I look back at the cars.

Believe what you want, but there's the truth. Bi-Xenon means HID for both high and low beams.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM
SD987S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, we’ve certainly managed to beat this horse to death…

Palting, tell me again how your test using a 987 with halogens and a 996 with xenons confirm the functionality of the 9X7 xenons? The 996 xenon assemblies and the 9X7 xenons don't share a single part.

YES, the 9X6 posters are correct, bi-level xenon means that the HID lamp serves as both dipped and high beam and this can be seen on the 9X7 as it looks like the lower half of the HID lamp is lit and then the upper half.

What their explanation is lacking is that the 9X7 lamps use an H11 halogen bulb to supplement the HID high beam (and to provide the "flash" function).

This halogen provides the long range illumination of the high beam because the HID lamp by itself doesn’t make a particularly good high beam. The part number for this bulb is 999 631 144 91.

It is the presence of this bulb that is leading to the incredulity coming from those posters that actually own a 987 with xenons, in that when turning on the high-beams the spot function of the H11 bulb quite distinctly turns on and provides more long range illumination than the light cast by the redirected xenon lamp, giving the high beam setting a predominantly halogen look and effect.

From page 83 of Porsche’s 987 Product Manual

The freeform reflector with halogen bulb (H 11/55 W, long-life) acts as an auxiliary main-beam headlight. It is designed as a spot to ensure better long-range illumination of the road.

As has been noted, this is quite simple to verify for oneself but not against a concrete wall, but against say an office building that incorporates reflective windows or doors at ground level. But if you're going to check for yourself, at least make sure you actually are driving the car with the equipment in question.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 AM
dudical26
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Bi-Xenon headlight in my 06 Boxster S. Best headlights in any car I have ever driven. Makes me upset when I drive any of my other cars and they can not match the light output.

Quick Reply: Xenon Brights