Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E46 M3 to CS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
cbdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E46 M3 to CS?

I'm currently driving an E46 M3 and I've been eyeing the CS. I test drove the car, which felt fantastic, though a bit under powered.

Has anyone made the switch from an M3 to a CS? Any thoughts, encouragements or regrets?

Also, are there any options you highly recommend getting on a CS?

thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
elh0102
Instructor

I'm in the same situation with an E46 M3. I've driven several Cayman S cars, and several Carrera S too. My thoughts on the Cayman S are the same; great steering, brakes, and handling, needs a bit more power. But I expect on track, where you could keep both cars in their power band, the difference would be negligible. And both cars stock, I'm sure the Cayman S would yield better lap times. Assuming you would keep the suspension stock, I would get PASM, and I would get sport seats for sure. But frankly, I've decided after driving a few used '05 Carrera S cars, that's the one for me. After getting used to an engine in the trunk, it is a fantastic car. And with the extra weight and rubber in the rear, it would likely suffer less from the lacking limited slip differential, which is not available on either car in this country. The 997S handling was surprisingly neutral, with virtually no reminders of the rear weight bias. On track, I'm sure the dynamics would be different, but very manageable. My M3 has a Kline/Koni adjustable suspension, and front camber plates. As presently set up, it is really a very nice handling car, with the understeer reduced to an acceptable level. Mine has no sunroof or power options, so the weight is down a bit, and I've about decided to postpone a car decision for another season. I do 6 or 7 DE events each year, and I'm very comfortable with the performance and maintenance of the M3 at this point. It is my second E46 M3, I know them well, and after addressing some handling issues, they are very good cars. Not perfect, but I'm past the surprises, and the 911 will be a new start. Maybe by the time I'm ready, a used 996 GT3.......
Old 12-06-2006, 03:44 PM
cbdoc
Instructor

Thanks for the elaborate response. Sounds like we are in quite the same situation. I do track my M3, and have made suspension and brake modifications, and am very comfortable technically and on the track with the car. I keep going back and forth on my decision... A number of people at The Cayman Club have done the E46 M3 to CS migration and are quite happy... as for me, I need to go for a few more test drives. Will keep you posted!

Originally Posted by elh0102
I'm in the same situation with an E46 M3. I've driven several Cayman S cars, and several Carrera S too. My thoughts on the Cayman S are the same; great steering, brakes, and handling, needs a bit more power. But I expect on track, where you could keep both cars in their power band, the difference would be negligible. And both cars stock, I'm sure the Cayman S would yield better lap times. Assuming you would keep the suspension stock, I would get PASM, and I would get sport seats for sure. But frankly, I've decided after driving a few used '05 Carrera S cars, that's the one for me. After getting used to an engine in the trunk, it is a fantastic car. And with the extra weight and rubber in the rear, it would likely suffer less from the lacking limited slip differential, which is not available on either car in this country. The 997S handling was surprisingly neutral, with virtually no reminders of the rear weight bias. On track, I'm sure the dynamics would be different, but very manageable. My M3 has a Kline/Koni adjustable suspension, and front camber plates. As presently set up, it is really a very nice handling car, with the understeer reduced to an acceptable level. Mine has no sunroof or power options, so the weight is down a bit, and I've about decided to postpone a car decision for another season. I do 6 or 7 DE events each year, and I'm very comfortable with the performance and maintenance of the M3 at this point. It is my second E46 M3, I know them well, and after addressing some handling issues, they are very good cars. Not perfect, but I'm past the surprises, and the 911 will be a new start. Maybe by the time I'm ready, a used 996 GT3.......
Old 12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

The only thing I can forsee you missing is probably the rear seats on the M3.
If you don't need them, Go for the CS!

As for lap times on the track, I wouldn't be so sure that the CS will do better than the E46 M3...
Old 12-06-2006, 05:07 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbdoc
Thanks for the elaborate response. Sounds like we are in quite the same situation. I do track my M3, and have made suspension and brake modifications, and am very comfortable technically and on the track with the car. I keep going back and forth on my decision... A number of people at The Cayman Club have done the E46 M3 to CS migration and are quite happy... as for me, I need to go for a few more test drives. Will keep you posted!
With your M3 being set up about as mine, I wouldn't expect a stock Cayman S to be any quicker, although it might feel better. I haven't had a Cayman in my run group yet, so I have no real basis for comparison. If you can see a way of stretching your budget a bit, you should drive a 997S. Low mileage '05's are available in the mid/upper $70's. As neat as the mid-engine car is, Porsche is going to keep it in its place, and a new one, IMO, is really overpriced (not that we're talking bargain hunting here). Good luck in your search.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

equal driver, my moton'd (otherwise stock) RA1 996 3.6L c2 is faster than e46m3 with full kline set up on mpsc. my cayman is faster than 3.6 c2 for sure. the cayman has moton and RA1 as well.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven several examples of the e46 M3 and I am currently driving a Cayman S loaner. IMHO if you need the room the BMW is the ultimate driving machine, however if you crave a real sporting ride there is no substitute for the CS.

Family car (granted not a bad family car) vs Sports car...

Quick Reply: E46 M3 to CS?