Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tire Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Winter Tire Installation

After a very difficult time finding winter tires for my wife's 987, Damon at The Tire Rack found 4 235/40VR-18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 N1 (Porsche OE). They will be moounted on 18x8.5 Sport Edition Cup 3 Silver rims.

I plan to install them this wekend. I'll be using a floor jack (with a "hockey puck") to protect the area around the lift points. I plan to use a wheel guide too.

Any other suggestions based on previous experiences?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For safety, you may consider chocking the wheels on the opposite side of the car. Also, jacking the car by the rear lifting point will raise the entire side, allowing easy removal of both front and rear tires. I usually check the brake pads at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you plan on doing what schnell987 proposed (which is what I would do), i'd throw a jackstand or two under just in case.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Good reminders. I'll use the jack stands and make sure the wheels are chocked. I picked up 2 bolts today to make the wheel adaptors.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I just installed the same setup from Tire Rack this wknd for winter use in New England. We got our first snow Sunday night and the tires have been great, albeit just a few miles thus far.

For reference the setting for your torque wrench when tightening bolts is 96lb-ft (in the manual). Also, those Sport Edition wheels are designed to accept the Porsche center caps if you want to and aesthetically, the rims looks very similar to OEM turbo twists.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

lee88 - thanks. I received tires/rims yesterday. Will put them on this weekend. I plan to use the current center caps.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Just completed the installation of the winter tires on wife's boxster. It was a breeze

The wheel guides I made with the 15mm x 1.5mm x 5" bolts worked great. But they did cost me $2.50 ea. Now it's time for a beer
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel guide? explain please.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

A wheel guide is basically inserted when you remove one of the lug nuts to continue supporting the wheel. Saves a lot of wear & tear on the back. Two wheel guides make it much easier. In the owner's manual it references using 2 wheel guides when changing a tire especially with PCCB.

Rather than buy a wheel guide another poster suggested using a 14mm x 1.5mm x approximately 5" bolt after cutting the bolt head off. That's what I did and it worked great. Also much less expensive than buying the wheel guides.

If you search the 997 forum for "wheel guide" you'll find a thread on "goodies for changing wheels". Below is the information Coochas supplied on the 997 forum.

Originally Posted by Coochas
I just received a wheel hanger that I ordered from Boothe (Porsche offers these as well). For those unfamiliar with the term, it is basically a long bolt that screws into the caliper and allows you to guide the wheel in place. I haven't used one before but I can tell you that sitting on the ground and holding up one of our wheels during a changeover is really bad on your back!!! I think this is a smart safe way to put a wheel on and greatly reduces the chance of crunching your calipers with those heavy wheels.
Also shown in the "soft socket" (it looks teflon like inside). Both $29 from Boothe.
www.boothedesign.com
Old 12-12-2006, 12:20 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! That is what I thought it was. While I never thought of having two, on the 986 (and I assume 996) the toolkit comes with one. Maybe because the 987/997 has no spare, they kept it out of the toolkit (any way to save a nickel )

That is one of the disappointments after years of owning older Porsches. My 914 had the old bolt style like the new cars, but then I converted it to studs, and well, my old 911 had studs to begin with. So much easier. Maybe I will convert the 986 to studs too!

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Installation