Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Weight Savings Per Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 PM
fletch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCCB Weight Savings Per Axle?

Porsche claims a weight savings of about half for the rotor weight. Anyone know how many lbs that is?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

~10lbs per crnr
Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

Granted I'm not good at searching, but I looked and couldn't find any data on the performance improvement earned from saving 10#/corner with PCCB. It must be measurable, seeing as how competitors will go out of their way to save a pound or two of unsprung weight, particularly if it's rotating unsprung weight.

It would be very interesting to get good data points comparing a Cayman or 997 with and without PCCB, including acceleration, lap time (autocross or tight track) with data acquisition, and braking distances. I know it's out there, but does anyone reading this have it & is willing to share it?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have real data; however, Donny and GH Sharp from Richmond area (or was it North Carolina?) were campaining a CS with PCCB at the beginning of the solo season, which I hear they gave up now as it is not competitive in the SS class. They competed locally against boxsters and may be one or two CSs occasionally and they put 1-2 seconds difference to all. That says nothing about the PCCB of course as they are both very good solo drivers.

I think the real performance benefit to PCCB is its resistance to fade at the track. This durability is the key, as positioned by Porsche, in endurance races. Beyond that, at my level, such savings do not have much meaning.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

correct usage of rotor, pads, fluid.. you should not have fading "steel" brakes.
if you must spend the money on ceramic to reduce wt, look into brembo GTR breaks. $12k/set inc. calpers. amazing stopping power.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Dr. Car
Racer

GH might be a good person to ask about the benefits of PCCB. Those 1-2 second faster lap times are no data point, since I'd expect GH to be 1-2 seconds faster than me in my own car.

For those competing under a set of rules (like GH), the PCCB may be allowed but the Brembos would not - or would bump someone into a highly modified class.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,639 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Car
For those competing under a set of rules (like GH), the PCCB may be allowed but the Brembos would not - or would bump someone into a highly modified class.
good point, i was not aware the intent was to do competition.

my buddy regret he didn't get PASM for ax, as PASM is ok, but aftermkt coil over will put him in another class.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fletch
Porsche claims a weight savings of about half for the rotor weight. Anyone know how many lbs that is?
Depends on what rotor you're referencing it against. If it's the PCCB equivalent size in steel, yes, it's about 1/2 or about 13lbs front and 10lbs rear per side. This is what Porsche marketing will highlight.

If you're comparing to the standard Boxster/Cayman S brakes looking to save unsprung weight, then there is no weight savings. This is because the stock 318mm brakes weigh about 10lbs less to begin with. The extra 3lbs plus weight in calipers, pads, etc. make it about a wash--I'd say within a pound. I don't have the weights in my head for the rear, but similar.

Like mooty says, if you're not fading the steel brakes (not pads/fluid), then you don't need the bigger heat sink/thermal stability of the larger rotors.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM
fletch
Advanced

So the diff between S brakes and PCCB are only 1lb lighter net??
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

It's a glass half full or half empty kind of deal. You could say the PCCB are waste of money and not really any lighter than the S brakes, or you could say that you have a significantly upgraded brake system with no extra weight penalty.

For me, I warped my S rotors, but I suspect that's more of a result of stupidity (laziness) and not letting my brakes cool down properly. What I would really like is to take on a project of making or finding 2-piece front rotors with aluminum hats.

Quick Reply: PCCB Weight Savings Per Axle?