Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:15 PM
RJM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extreme handling

Would anyone like to comment on how the Cayman handles at the extreme?
Does it push or oversteer? Has anyone lost it on the track or the highway for that matter?

I haven't been even near the car's extreme on the road and I probably won't track it. So I am hoping to learn from your experiences and thoughts?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You will never be able to push the car at the extreme on the streets unless you want jail time. On the track, it is a very precise and extremely balanced vehicle. It makes a decent driver look great!
I am not a professional racer, but I only really realized how great the Cayman was at my first track event. Good luck...
Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It is very easy to drive, pretty high limits and hard to get to those limits especially with street tires and at the limit of the tires you have a lot of different options to control the car.

Initially it mildly understeers, slightly loading up the fronts keeps that in check and you can induce throttle over steer relatively easily as well. As mentioned before, quite neutral, so you can go from under to oversteer easily under control, never handful.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJM
...I probably won't track it.
How 'bout an autocross? Not really "tracking it", but an opportunity to learn a lot about your car's handling in a safe environment.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

All of non-GT porsches understeer like greased pigs in stock form. When they are pushed on the track, they have more body lean than that tower in Italy. For any real track use, you need to stiffen up the suspension considerably.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
RJM
7th Gear

Maybe autocross will be in my future...The only reason I do not want to track it; is that I do not even have a rock chip yet...I can't imagine coming home and telling my wife that I ground off the tires,need new brake pads and by the way the front end needs repainting, but I am a better driver, "Lets go for a ride" :>)
Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RJM
Maybe autocross will be in my future...The only reason I do not want to track it; is that I do not even have a rock chip yet...I can't imagine coming home and telling my wife that I ground off the tires,need new brake pads and by the way the front end needs repainting, but I am a better driver, "Lets go for a ride" :>)
You only live once, make the best of it.....
Old 10-21-2006, 11:48 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RJM
So after the first rock chip, it's soiled and now must be flogged like a red-headed stepchild!

These cars were meant to be driven.

I would like to pull a Mooty and have one modded track-abuse-taker and one clean daily driver.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:04 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
It is very easy to drive, pretty high limits and hard to get to those limits especially with street tires and at the limit of the tires you have a lot of different options to control the car.

Initially it mildly understeers, slightly loading up the fronts keeps that in check and you can induce throttle over steer relatively easily as well. As mentioned before, quite neutral, so you can go from under to oversteer easily under control, never handful.

Ditto
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
All of non-GT porsches understeer like greased pigs in stock form.................you need to stiffen up the suspension considerably.
Colin, do you not think that the movable weights you have quite high up might be affecting the handling??? It's clear they need to be tied down more !!!

Seriously, stock cars can be made to handle more competitively by adjusting the camber to the outer end of the specifications.

Does anyone know what happens if you do this with the PASM set-up?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Ernie J
Pro

RJM Maybe you should try Concours ?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by RJM
hahhaah, did i tell you i buy 12 sets of pads, 100 bottles of oil, 4 sets of tires, 12 sets of rotors at a time, and i somtimes have go go back for more within 12 months. rock chips..... my car is black, the nose is sort of gray in color due to chips. kind of cool.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 PM
RJM
7th Gear

Concours! are you kidding me, can you imagine the grass stains I would get on the tires?

Mooty, How many miles on your car? How many track miles? How often do you change your oil and does the car "use" alot of oil. Any change in compression on the engine?
I think its great that you push your car to its limits...we will all learn alot about our cars from your adventures.

I have already driven this car harder than I have any other car I have owned in 40 years. So far, it seems to like it...I know I do.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Colin, do you not think that the movable weights you have quite high up might be affecting the handling??? It's clear they need to be tied down more !!!

Seriously, stock cars can be made to handle more competitively by adjusting the camber to the outer end of the specifications.

Does anyone know what happens if you do this with the PASM set-up?
Camber will help a bit, but you really have to do something like sways to make the car neutral. Understeer is safe, hence why the factory sets them up that way.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by RJM
Mooty, How many miles on your car? How many track miles? How often do you change your oil and does the car "use" alot of oil. Any change in compression on the engine?
I think its great that you push your car to its limits...we will all learn alot about our cars from your adventures.
almost 19k miles
almost 5k miles on track
every 3-4 track days, i change oil. to make things simple i just change oil every month.
on street, it uses no oil, on track, i need 1qt for 100 miles. i thnk oil gets into air/oil separator and then upon starting up, big smoke from exhaust. that's where the oil is being used up (my guess).
just had compression chk'd. can't rmember the numbers, but was even all the way across and mechanic said it's very healthy.
no real problems YET, but lots of f'k warning lights everywhere, air bag, psm, tpms, some times chk engine (bad cat was the code readout, dealer is ordering new one under warranty).
dying power steering pump due ot heat

Quick Reply: Extreme handling