Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S at the Virginia International Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Cayman S at the Virginia International Raceway

I saw this interesting Car & Driver review on a Vette forum. It classified cars into three different price categories and had pro drivers run each car on the race track. The fact that the Caynan S performed well wasn't surprising. The fact that the C6 Vette was slightly faster was very surprising.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1515476
Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Frankly, I am suprised that the C6 owners are suprised I have never driven any vette to date; however, I know from auto-x that it is nearly impossible to beat a well driven C6 (all three cars, Elise, the CS and C6 are in Super Stock), where auto-x is more about handling then hp.

I suspect most people have not been on the Grand East course of VIR as, I believe, it became a valid config only 2 years ago. I have driven on it twice this year, a very fun course, better than Full Course, unless there are too many cars in the run group. My best time was 3:26 or 3:27 is I remember right. Overall, with the significant hp/trq, track width and tire foot-print advantage that C6 has, no one should be suprised.

However, I'd be willing to bet that the C6 is much more difficult to drive than the CS and for average drivers like ourselves, it is much easier to extract performance out of the CS than the C6. Of course that is a big speculation on my part since I have not driven a vette before
Old 10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

However, I'd be willing to bet that the C6 is much more difficult to drive than the CS and for average drivers like ourselves, it is much easier to extract performance out of the CS than the C6.

Cars like the vette with all that HP and torque shouldn't be driven at more than 85% of their capabilities in corners unless the driver has attended a performance driving school. Although I've never driven the C6, I have driven the C6 Z06 and I have to agree with you that it's tough to handle with the stability management system turned off. It would take at least an hour of track time before I felt comfotable driving the Z, and yes over the years I've attended a few performance driving classes.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I cannot even imagine how it would be like to drive a Z06; litterally, I would not know how to control all that power.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new vettes, and I would love to take one to the track.

I will confess something else here. I have come within minutes away from ordering one of the Farnbacher Loles Cayman S conversions. I have spoken with them a few times, but whenever I call to give them the deposit, I get cold feet and hang up. The source of my cold feet is that I don't need the extra power for the street, which means it would only help me on the track. I enjoy driving a throw-away car on the the track, and I am not sure what it would be like to push a car that expensive so hard on the track. For a DE, it is likely overkill (but what glorious overkill). For racing, it would be in GT classes and likely would not be competitive there. Also, you would need to keep a car like that for life, because I doubt you would get anything near what it is worth in resale. So, for the moment, I keep dreaming about rockin' my Viper Green Farnbacher Loles Cayman S conversion around VIR . . . But to tie it back to the conversation here, I bet that the conversion would kill vettes and GT3s. I think it would be phenomenal.

And do you really like the Grand East course better than the Full Course? I only have one day on it, but I think it sorta kills the outstanding rhythym that the full course has.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

The source of my cold feet is that I don't need the extra power for the street,

Come on TD, you know you've got to have it. Just like you can't have too much money, your car can't have too much HP.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I'd be willing to bet that the C6 is much more difficult to drive than the CS and for average drivers like ourselves, it is much easier to extract performance out of the CS than the C6.
You are right...I have owned them both.

Alan
Old 10-04-2006, 10:43 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by fast1
The source of my cold feet is that I don't need the extra power for the street,

Come on TD, you know you've got to have it. Just like you can't have too much money, your car can't have too much HP.

I already have enough problems with my 996 with sport exhaust in Georgetown. I was driving my daughter to school the other day when I passed a group of yuppie moms out for their morning jog/walk. I was still warming the car up so I wasn't going fast at all, but they apparently objected to the sweet music of the Porsche flat six. With my windows down, I heard one Yummy (yuppie + mommy) say "That is just so obnoxious." I can't imagine what they would say if I had been driving a viper green farnbacher loles Cayman S.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC

I already have enough problems with my 996 with sport exhaust in Georgetown. I was driving my daughter to school the other day when I passed a group of yuppie moms out for their morning jog/walk. I was still warming the car up so I wasn't going fast at all, but they apparently objected to the sweet music of the Porsche flat six. With my windows down, I heard one Yummy (yuppie + mommy) say "That is just so obnoxious." I can't imagine what they would say if I had been driving a viper green farnbacher loles Cayman S.
Anything other than an electric car would displease that crew. You just can't please everyone. Last week I was driving my wife's S4 vert. I live in the country and was about a mile from my house when I came upon two middle age women walking their dogs. As soon as I neared them they both began to frantically wave their arms up and down to signal me to slow down. The speed limit is 25 MPH on that stretch of the road, and my immediate thought was that I must be going at least 50 based upon their reaction. I quickly glanced at the speedometer and I was flying down the road at 35 MPH. Maybe some cars just look and sound fast.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TD in DC
And do you really like the Grand East course better than the Full Course? I only have one day on it, but I think it sorta kills the outstanding rhythym that the full course has.
TD, actually I really like the Grand East much more than Full Course. The very long two straights make me feel bored, I am really not a speed-oriented guy

I think the rythm of the GE is quite exciting, especially the infield where I think is quite technical with multiple lines and somewhat changing grip levels, for some reason, throughout the day. The only thing that the GE is not a good fit is when the run groups are heavily loaded. The infield really makes you wait... wait.. and some more wait for the passing zone. And since you only get about 6 or 7 laps per session, you really do not want to get stuck behind a turbo that flies off on the straights and forgets to look in the mirrors in the corners

I spent a total 4 days this season on GE and they were very enjoyable for me.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Plant yourself in a GT3 and your view will change
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

LOL, I certainly cannot argue that Alan, I can only wish
Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM
RK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C & D review was nice but one performance item all of these articles leave out is the DRIVER, as no car drives its self. By drivers I mean us not the semi or pro drivers they use.
You may be quicker in your CS than I'm in my GT3 because you have way more seat time. My general opinion is get as much seat time as you can in any car you can. That is one performance option you get to take with you to any car.
With that said, dosent the GE course favor HP cars more?

Kevin.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:05 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I think GE awards lighter weight (agility) much more than hp. However, nice levels of torque is a significant help as most corners require to be on the throttle accelerating early to the next corner, not steady throttle type corners. Of course, if a car has slightly more oversteer tendencies (whether that's due to suspension setup or throttle-oversteer type), I think that helps as well, with the exception of the up-hill Sess; understeering cars with low power won't do too good on the GE course I believe.

Seat time is really the key no doubt. I am trying my best on that front; I hadn't attended as many events as this season before, costs are building up for sure
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

"You may be quicker in your CS than I'm in my GT3 because you have way more seat time."

And/or you have enough more talent.

tino

Quick Reply: Cayman S at the Virginia International Raceway