Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S + curvy Napa roads =

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S + curvy Napa roads =

AWESOME! It's great for me here because I'm used to 5000 ft altitude where I live...having the car down here it's much faster and the handling is amazing on those curved and banked valley roads! I'm jealous of you guys that live at sea level and have it like this all the time...the car feels supercharged vs. what I'm used to.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

More power would be nice....
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
paralizer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
AWESOME! It's great for me here because I'm used to 5000 ft altitude where I live...having the car down here it's much faster and the handling is amazing on those curved and banked valley roads! I'm jealous of you guys that live at sea level and have it like this all the time...the car feels supercharged vs. what I'm used to.
Welcome to the Bay Area. We are very fortunate to have such great roads to drive and great weather to drive in, year round. If you think Napa roads are good, head for Hwy. 1 on the coast and the hills of San Mateo and Santa Cruz county. Have fun and enjoy your stay.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I would never turn down more power, but I find the car feels very quick here. Any more might get me in trouble...I'm keeping my radar detector on all the time. Here, as at altitude, it's as fast as my E46 M3....the difference being that the M3 delivers power in a more brutal way, whereas the Porsche is very smooth.

I can easily get it to spin the tires through 1st gear or fishtail coming out of a turn, and I get to 100 in a flash, just as quick as the M3. I get really pinned back in my seat with acceleration, which doesnt happen at 5000 ft. If I could change anything,

(1) I'd go for wider tires in the rear...seems like they're too easily overwhelmed during launches and coming out of fast turns,

(2) I'd get shorter gearing at least through the first three gears (the top of second should be just over 60 mph, not 75+),

(3) add a LSD,

(4) maybe add a touch more exhaust sound and some high flow cats, although with the top down it's got a pretty loud and agressive sound....that 9ff kit with the dual rear tips looks good to me.

Those changes would probably drop at least 3 or 4 tenths off the 1/4 mile time. Otherwise, it's an awesome experience. This is good, because it's helping to keep me from going for a 997TT right away.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 08-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm so envious that you're driving your car around Cali...and I agree with you on your changes to make. I really like the new 987 AWE exhaust, but just not sure if I want to spend $2500 ($2100 plus shipping and install) for an exhaust. Just seems like a tad too much.

Maybe one of these days I'll take a road trip in my car, but I've got my first kid coming in about 8 weeks so I doubt that's gonna happen....
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Default Some new pics...

Here are a few snapshots I took today...

Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Funny, I sold my GT3 because it had too much power, at least for the street. There was no way to have any fun with that car unless you ran around at stupid speeds. It was a great track car though. I think that my Boxster S has plenty of power for the street, and it's lots of fun to just cruise around in. I love the way that the motor is so silky smooth and rev happy.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

I am with Larry. The S is really an incredible sports car value ... more than enough performance for street fun, and so much more entertaining at all speeds than many more powerful cars!

Quick Reply: Boxster S + curvy Napa roads =