Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Dials

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Dials

Anyone else have Red Instrument Dials and think they suck? I can't read any of the numbers in the daylight. Luckily, I don't really need to read the numbers much.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:34 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, a friend ordered his Guards Red Cayman w/"Guards Red" gauges. They are extremely difficult to read in daylight & the color isn't even remotely close to Guards Red. They certainly don't match the exterior. After complaints to the dealer who went to bat for him w/PCNA, they are being replaced w/the standard gauges & he's getting a refund of the option price he paid.

If you were unable to preview them & (quite reasonably) assumed them to be both legible & the correct color as advertised, you should get the same result.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:29 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MRPC12

Any thoughts for a guy on the fence between a Boxster 40th Ann and a CaymanS? I drive my 02 C4s mostly on weekends but would make the CS or Boxster my daily.

Thanks,

ScottS
Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 AM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

ScottS - no contest, get the Cayman. The newer platform is much improved over the previous 986.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STLPCA
FWIW, a friend ordered his Guards Red Cayman w/"Guards Red" gauges. They are extremely difficult to read in daylight & the color isn't even remotely close to Guards Red. They certainly don't match the exterior. After complaints to the dealer who went to bat for him w/PCNA, they are being replaced w/the standard gauges & he's getting a refund of the option price he paid.

If you were unable to preview them & (quite reasonably) assumed them to be both legible & the correct color as advertised, you should get the same result.
I don't think I could make the same argument because the car was in dealer stock and I test drove it and noticed the problem but decided to buy the car anyway because it was the only one they had with the other options I wanted.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my personal opinion (which feel free to say "it sucks") I think all gauges should be black face with white markings. Best for visibility in all conditions. I hate white faced, gray faced, or any othe facing color. Markings look best in white I think as well.

I simply would not buy a car if I had to take white faced or any other non-black (or very close to black) gauge coloring.

But that is just me. BTW... many early 944's came with black faces and yellow markings. Yuck!

Quick Reply: Red Dials