Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S as daily driver and in snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used Dunlop Wintersport M3's on 17's for my Box S last winter (which was pretty a weak winter honestly) and it never, ever had a problem... of course our other car is an allroad which also has Wintersport M3's as a backup but I think I only drove it twice and both were during storms
Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also used Dunlop Wintersport M3s. They were great in my opinion. Good snow traction, and didn't make your car feel like a Lincoln Town Car on the dry days.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My M3s...
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I have an 05 S4 also, awesome car in the snow.

I also have an S4 but I don't believe that it's that great in the snow unless its equipped with snow tires. I live in the country with lots of hills and AWD offers zero help going down hills, whereas snow tires provide excellent traction in all conditions. Unless the snow gets high enough to cause ploughing, I'm certain that the Cayman equipped with snow tires will perform well in moderate snowy conditions.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Get the Cayman and buy a 5k Jeep Wrangler for the snow.

I have an 05 S4 also, awesome car in the snow. I just bought a 911 C4S but I will not be using it in the winter.
Thats what I'm doing. I had an '05 Avalanche gas hog that I just sold last week. It was just sitting in my garage taking up space and not being utilized. I will just use our old Jeep Wrangler for snow days. Cheap to insure, maintain, etc. and is a blast in the snow.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I have an 05 S4 also, awesome car in the snow.

I also have an S4 but I don't believe that it's that great in the snow unless its equipped with snow tires. I live in the country with lots of hills and AWD offers zero help going down hills, whereas snow tires provide excellent traction in all conditions. Unless the snow gets high enough to cause ploughing, I'm certain that the Cayman equipped with snow tires will perform well in moderate snowy conditions.
Yes, I meant with snow tires. The S4 would not be good in the snow with the stock contis.

Quick Reply: Cayman S as daily driver and in snow