Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust options

I have searched and searched the forums and I can't get the information I want.

I am looking to get a exhaust for my 2006 Boxster S and have no idea as to my options.

I found a few but know little if nothing about them.

My requirements are:

Great sound (Duh)
Looks Good (ie doesn't hang under the bumper like fabspeed)
No drone or resonance!!! VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!

Performance gain would be a bonus but that is not my priority with this upgrade.

Any idea what my options are?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Periokid
Pro

Anyone know anything about boxster exhausts?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like you're blazing new territory here, at least for the 987s. Maybe you should repost on the 986 board to see if anyone has advice on specific brands. Hopefuly there shouldn't be too much difference for our cars.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

easy - PSE
Old 07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

go to website of techart, speedart, cargraphics.
they all have them.

i am not sure PSE is available for 987s. if it is, then that's what i would go with. i love OEM equipment.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW John, it's a great car. With the top down it's more fun at 50 than the GT3 was at 100, at least on the street.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
BTW John, it's a great car. With the top down it's more fun at 50 than the GT3 was at 100, at least on the street.
well, larry, let me solve your problem then.
what you need is a GT3 drop top
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
ajcastanedaOFFICE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few exhaust options you can look at as I have been researching this for a few months now.

-Fabspeed...the only problem I have here is it hangs past the rear bumper, but the sound is decent....sports cats and headers are also being developed for this as we speak (www.fabspeed.com)

-Tubi (through Champion Motorsports) -- I'm sure you've seen the videos for this exhaust on the 987S if you Googled it but if not, check out www.scuderiasystems.com -- they have sound clips for both 987 and 997 models. It doesn't sound very special at idle IMO but when you let it rip there's a HUGE difference in sound quality. From what I heard and from what dealers are telling me, the Tubi sounds the best of all aftermarket exhausts. (www.tubi.it)

-B&B -- nothing too special with the sound, and dealers don't speak highly about this make whatsoever (www.bbexhaust.com)

-Super Sprint -- less known here in the States, but moreso in Europe - their stuff is well-made but EXPENSIVE. They do have a straight pipe application for the 987 (the only aftermarket maker I know that has one) but it requires you to swap out the OEM cats with their 100/200 cell race cats. They also have mufflers only if all you want is the sound. (www.supersprint.com)

-TechArt -- recently released as a "racing exhaust" -- it comes with chrome, TechArt engraved tips. This is the one I am leaning on just because I trust the TechArt name over most of the other options. (www.cecwheels.com)

-Cargraphic or Speed Art -- on the more expensive side for exhausts - I have not heard one installed, but my dealer here in NYC was quoting me almost 10K for a full exhaust/performance upgrade.

-Roock -- last but not least...last I spoke to Mr. Roock he told me mufflers were just developed for the 987. I have yet to check in with him again on the price.

Hope this helps somewhat. The 987 sounds excellent inside the car (as you hear the induction) but outside of the car, as I have recently learned, you wish that the sound you hear is about a 100 times louder.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Periokid
Pro

Great post, thanks!

The golden question is which of these will not drone and resonate. I have learned NOT to trust the vendors on that answer!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Miami987S
AutoX

Default Tubi

I can vouch for the Tubi. It sounds great and its quiet at idle and while on the highway. WHen you push it, I definitely notice a responsiveness that was not there before and at full wail, it sounds like a carrera S and 360 modena. I love it. The Tubi tips are disgusting so I had them install the Porsche SE tips that will be put on the Cayman S. THey are round and fat and look great.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Another option is the 9ff exhaust/race cats/headers. This one is nice, IMO, because it switches from the central exhaust tips to dual tips. Here's a pic of this exhaust on the Cayman. Probably the one I will go with. The full power kit claims 40 WHEEL hp for the Cayman S and Boxster S (3.4). It has intake and exhaust mods, plus a chip.

Another one that was tested well on Cayman Club is the Militek exhaust. Ken S on Cayman Club got 21 hp and 15 ft-lbs with exhaust/cats/headers, which is pretty impressive.

http://www.caymanclub.net/article_read.asp?id=98
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

HI Periokid

This is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports. I just wanted to mention a few points about the Fabspeed Maxflo 987/ Cayman sports exhaust and headers.

Last AUGUST 2005 I designed 5 different exhaust systems for the 987 when it came out. I had the car for 4 weeks. Fabspeed's Maxflo exhaust DOES NOT resonate under any circumstances or RPM band. I personally made sure of that as "if something sounds great on a Video it might not be as good at part throttle on the highway rush hour."

If you want to hear & drive a 987/Cayman with the Fabspeed Motorsports MAXFLO exhaust system and airintake just call me and you and anyone can come to my shop and I can arrange it given some leadtime. It would be my pleasure to let you try the systems and we can also install systems for anyone that can get to our shop as a courtesy.

The Fabspeed 987/Cayman exhaust has the same EXACT overall size and dimensions as the factory 987/Cayman OEM muffler from Porsche. I have a Video explaining everything on my website. The Fabspeed muffler does NOT hang down any lower than the stock muffler.........people sometimes say thing by mistake as the factory muffler condition is brown steel mill quality stainless steel and the new exhaust systems is T304 stainless steel mirror show polished and therefore more visible as it is shiny. This same phonomena happens when people install polsihed stainless mufflers from any compnay on 930 Turbos, 996Twin Turbo and etc. You see and notice the new polsihed systems whereas the old system bended in. Most people think it is very cool to have a polsihed high performance system.

Fabspeed also has high performance headers with F 1 style merge collectors and imported sports racing catalytic converters. For the racer we offer these headers without catalytic converters too.

Fabspeed was the 1st compnay to develop these performance products and the 1st to release these products and the 1st compnay to dyno these products and video tape everything.

Farnbacher Lolles racing , Mantis Racing and Orton Performance and other companies are using our systems on their street, track and 3.8liter Cayman GTR cars.

If you or anyone wants to come to Fabspeed let me know. REVO has a chip designed for the 987 Cayman that adds 15HP and along with Fabspeed's stage 3 kit (headers with cats/Maxflo exhaust and CUP intake +19.7HP at the rear wheels) +24HP @ the crank you can easily add +39HP total to any 987/Cayman car.

Have a great day

Joe Fabiani
President
Fabspeed Motorsports
www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com
215-646-4945 (9828fax)
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
mbodo
Racer

Joe -

I'm not a Porsche gearhead by any stretch of ones imagination and have a quick question (others in the know feel free to chime in):

Will the 987 Headers fit on both the 3.2 (05-06 Boxster S) as well as the 3.4 Cayman motors? Is the chip offered only for the 3.4 or for the 3.2 as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone can call me or Fabspeed directly for more information or to order. WE will gladly answer any questions.

Our 987 & Cayman exhuast systems have been out since last summer and THEREFORE
Fabspeed has the most experience and lead in development of 987 Porsche products. Fabspeed has revised and continually developed our MAXFLO exhaust systems and headers over the past 11 months.

Also no WAITING on orders is required for the 987, Cayman or the NEW 997Twin Turbo!

Call me for more information or PM me @ Fabspeed Motorsports.

have a great weekend

Joe Fabiani
President & CEO
Fabspeed Motorsports
www.fabspeed.com
info@fabspeed.com
283 North Main Street
Ambler, PA 19002-5065
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Periokid
Pro

Joe,

I guess it is hard to judge if I do not actually see the car in person.

My biggest fear of all is drone/resonance in my boxster. To me there is nothing worse or more annoying. I have had fabspeeds on my 1999 996. They might have been an earlier design but they drove me freakin' crazy. It was impossible to drive on the highway. They sounded awesome but the drone was unbearable.

If you can guarantee that your system won't do this to me, I'd consider your system. Do you know anyone in the Long Island area that has this system on their car so I can hear it?

I am so skeptical when I am told no resonance from exhaust makers because it took me three different systems on my 996 TT until I got a system I could live with. All those manufacturers told me No RESONANCE. Turned out to the bull ****.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options