Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts
Default BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!

Ok, I've been telling everyone I'd strip and go naked. Well, today's the day. I began removal of the clear bra that has been on the car for over two years. It was easy. I was going to let the car heat up prior to beginning, but I'm just too impatient. I took some pics during the process. I'd like you to look at a few things:

1. (PIC 1) The edges are getting really dirty; clay, dirt and wax on seams (don't ever let some meat head install a seem job. I can't live with it anymore. Getting sheet install next week.

2. (PIC 2) Discoloration; it has become readily apparent that there is a color differentiation between the bra'd area and naked paint--yellowing "big-time". Don't slam me too quickly, it's 3M. It has been subjected to some extreme heat and sun (It's a fact Texas it closer to the sun than any other state except Arizona). It may be hard to tell, but in person the color difference is obvious.

3. (PIC 3) PROTECTION: Now you see the scratch or scuff, now you don't (PIC 4). Where there is no bra, there's a stone chip
(PIC 5)

4. (PIC 6) All done (hood and front panels), note the color Yellow!!

I love the way the car looks without it. But, I also know the risks I'd be running to go without it. I'll post the new job once completed. I polished the area to remove the "line of crud". I love the feel of naked paint!
Attached Images       

Last edited by SilverSteel; 07-15-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
mgsimmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice color!

What is a sheet install? How did you get the removal process started?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:29 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mgsimmer
Nice color!

What is a sheet install? How did you get the removal process started?
What is a sheet install-
When the installer uses very large sheets of transparent material to cover as large an area as possible with very, very few cuts. As opposed to a kit, where there are multiple pieces of material that fit on specific pieces of the body making it more difficult to wrap the edges (very, very important--see me first posting on this thread with photos).

Removal process-
It's best to let the car sit outside in the sun for several hours prior to attempting. This allows the adhesive material to soften permitting easier removal of the material. I looked for corners that were easy to get my fingernail under. I carefully pried the corner up to a point my thumb and forefinger could grab it. Once my two fingers had it, I carefully pulled it back against the car to remove it. I comes rather easily. I push pencils all day so my fingers are wimpy, wimpy, wimpy so you shouldn't have a problem. Some areas the adhesive was still on the car--no biggie. I just rubbed it off with some adhesive remover (3M has a great one). Then I clayed and polished and waxed it. Really didn't need the clay, but I wanted to make sure I got all the adhesive.

Quick Reply: BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!