Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory vs Dealer Installed Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Sgooter
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory vs Dealer Installed Options?

I'm interested in buying a new Cayman S and I need a little help with some of the options. Anyone know whether any of the following options can be routinely installed by a dealer or is available only if installed at the factory:
1. 3-spoke Multifunction Leather Steering Wheel (#431)
2. Aluminum Foot Rest (#XXZ)
3. Chrome Exhaust Pipe (#XLA)
4. Rear Wiper (#425)
Thanks, and this is an excellent forum. Glad I joined.
Sgooter
Old 07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

1. dealer can intall it, but it's far far cheaper if your ordered on the car.
2. i belive it's same price either way, very easy to install. you can do it yourself
3. easy install, dont know price difference. but it's secured by just 1-2 bolts.
4. must be dont at the factory, you dont want dealer to drill a whole on the sheet metal. if you put rainX on the rear, you really dont need rear wiper. it's just another item to break down. (just my opionion of course.)
Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Sgooter
4th Gear

Mooty,
Thanks very much for the quick response.
You're info is very helpful. The issue I'm considering is whether to buy from a dealer's available inventory versus ordering a new one from the factory - maybe even Euro Delivery. In most cases, the dealer's typical inventory will not be as fully equipped as I would like, so it's helpful in making the buy decision to know that some options may be attainable thru a dealer or DIY.

I've owned two 911s (w/ rear wipers) over the years and the evolved Carrera still looks great, but somehow I find the looks of the Cayman S more to my liking these days. Your suggestion about using Rain X versus getting the rear wiper also sounds pretty good, since it would preserve the clean flowing lines of this beautifully styled car. Ah, decisions, decisions...
Sgooter
Old 07-03-2006, 12:05 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

I did the the footrest in 10 minutes, the XLA tip in 15 minutes. I prefer the CS with no rear wiper - it just looks better IMO.

The steerring wheel will cost at least $1200-1500 to retrofit as I am looking to do the same for a sport wheel.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Sgooter
4th Gear

Thanks Jeff,
Good info...I do believe I'll forego the rear wiper for the reasons you and Mooty have cited. The multi-function steering wheel is essentially a $1000 option, so an additional $200 - $300 to install it may be worth it IF the rest of the car's installed options match my wish list. I think I'm gettin' closer.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

I do wish I would have ordered the thicker sport sterring wheel for circa 1200 - only option I wanted but missed. The standard wheel, although nice, is not optimal for spirited driving. Thing that kills me is that Honda, Nissan, BMW and others include really sporty sterring wheels in their basic cars...

Quick Reply: Factory vs Dealer Installed Options?