Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping from Finland to US

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Rennmeister
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping from Finland to US

After a 4 month wait, my 987S finally set sail 6/19 from Finland to the port of Baltimore. Any idea how long it will take to get in my greedy little hands?
-Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You aren't in Baltimore to see it unloaded? I really don't know, but it may be pretty soon. May depend on how long the backup for port prep is. Your car will undergo some prep at Baltimore port, then be sent by truck to your dealer in NY. A considerate dealer will call you as soon as it arrives so you can run down and take photos of it before they start removing the travel protection. You can probably buy it the next day (don't rush the dealer prep, they may forget something). Take your tire pressure gauge along, and also make sure the lug bolts are torqued properly. Take the time for a test drive before heading home, and take it back to the dealer soon for an alignment check, if they didn't do one initially (I had an alignment after 2000 miles and it was out of spec in several places).

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 06-24-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Rennmeister
7th Gear

Default Shipping from Finland

Thanks for the response, Jim. No, not expecting to be in Baltimore anytime soon.
Also, wondering how long the boat ride across the Atlantic takes, on average. My dealer is pretty vague about this part of the process, also.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car could already be in Baltimore. Apparently some Porsche dealers/sales consultants have provided complete shipping information to customers (mine didn't). This includes the name of the ship your car is on, when it departs, and when it arrives in port. Actually, anyone can get the same infromation from a shipping schedule website, but I don't know the website address or how to do it. I learned what little I know about that on www.caymanclub.net. You may be able to learn enough about it there by doing a search of "shipping schedules" (or something similar) posts. But you'd need to know the name of the ship your car is on to track it.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Rennmeister
7th Gear

Smile 11 Days Port to Door

Wanted to mention that I took delivery of my guards red/beige 987S today (in NY) exactly 11 days after the ship it was on left Finland for the port of Baltimore. I had forgotten from the test drive, a full 5 months ago, quite how it literally dances through corners. WOW!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:19 PM
carrera97701
AutoX

Congratulations, Rennmeister!!!
I am with a west coast dealer and can say the expected docking for your car was 06.28. Our cars generally take 10 days to 2weeks to off load go through customs and ship into the northwest. I can't guess what the volume of cars is through Baltimore or what the holiday next week will do with trucking, but you should see it very soon. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Shipping from Finland to US