Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discount for ordered car vs car in lot

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By that time, the 2008 Cayman with the long anticipated power increase will be in the pipeline and no doubt you'll want to wait for that!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
gameson
Track Day

thanks, perry. Now I just have to find dealers with the lowest inventory so I can get discounts on ordered car, and wait for that season. I think I am going to start looking around nov or dec to order my car for feb delivery.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perrys7342
None of the answers you got so far is correct. Perry (44 years Porsche ownership, early years in the Automobile business)
On the financial side, Perry is absolutely correct, but that does not mean the rest of us offered bad advice... It still helps to play the "I can walk away at anytime card". Read any good book on retail sales, and you can find case study after case study about the "big fish that got away" because he/she changed their mind after having time to think about it. This is expecially true for for big ticket items like automobiles. Once the buyer is away from the emotional environment the sales staff attempts to create, chances are good he will not return...

Not trying to argue Perry's points (all of which are right on), just offering another piece of advice that might help...
Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 AM
gameson
Track Day

I heard that in California, if you put a deposit on a car, technically if you change your mind, you can take the deposit back. is it true?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:44 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what I'd do. Write up on a sheet of paper the exact colors and options you want, then list the price you'd be willing to pay at the bottom along with a note that you want to place an order for the car in the event an identical one is not in inventory. Also write that your offer is final (including the destination charge) and you will buy from the first dealer that accepts your offer within the next 2 business days. Then address it to the sales manager and fax the sheet to every Porsche dealer within a reasonable distance.

One thing to think about regarding going out of state to find a dealer that will give you a better discount -- bear in mind that dealers make most of their profit from parts and service, not new car sales. They sell the new cars so that you'll come there for service and they make money off you that way.....an out of state dealer knows you won't likely ever come back for anything, so you may actually be better off with a local dealer who is motivated to get your service business.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

FYI: Porsche doesn't offer dealer holdback...
Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by gameson
I heard that in California, if you put a deposit on a car, technically if you change your mind, you can take the deposit back. is it true?
I believe that is true for every State. Deposits are refundable.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I believe that is true for every State. Deposits are refundable.
Legally, it varies from dealer to dealer depending on the language in the purchase order contract, but this is precisely why they don't want you to leave the dealership without driving a new car home... Very few dealers are willing to lose a customer (or have their name badmouthed to 10 other potential customers) by keeping some SOB's $2000 when he decides to back out of the deal...
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Theory:

- As said before, cars that sit on dealers lots are somethmes already paid for by the dealer so there's a cost of capital associated with not selling the car
- Other variables as meeting end of month goals, or clearing inventory when the new model year is about to come can translate into strong incentives to sell cars on lots
- Porsche is the manufacturer with the biggest margins, both for the manufacturer and dealers

Practice (real life experience)

- I have only gotten a couple of thousand off from made to order Porsches
- After just 1-3 weeks of calling dealers in my area (NYC Tri-State) I have ALWAYS been able to get at least 10% off MSRP on cars sitting on dealers lots. Clearing model year inventory and meeting monthly target have played a part on this.

My advice is, that unless you want some pretty uncomon options, you will always find a car that's almost exactly like the one you will order sitting at some dealers lot. That's the beauty of mass-scale manufacturing and the challenge of matching supply and demand. Be patient and use it to your advantage.

Quick Reply: discount for ordered car vs car in lot