Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Gains from mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the price difference below the border is more like $12k, so some will consider a Cayman with the same power as the 997 for only $8400 bucks a good deal.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 06-09-2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-09-2006, 01:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
The new Performance Products catalog has several more Cayman mods listed than the last one had. H&R lowering springs ($330);, alloy strut brace, for those who like to wear a belt and suspenders too ($350); Powerchip custom ECU tuning (17 hp gain for $990); PowerFlow intake kit (10 hp gain for $370); Sport Air Filter ($105); K&N air filter ($50); muffler ($1249); and headers ($3486). That's $6200 in mods just related to power, and no telling how much more hp all that would make. Maybe the 9ff 40-hp kit for $8400 isn't so far out of whack after all.
i much rather spend the 7k in moton coil overs, with monoball upper shock mounts, proper adj drop links, anti sway bars, alignment, corner weight, dual sprints. it will drive drouve around all the mods mentioned above.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Jim - you are correct. I was allowing some additional money for installation, and there is the matter of whether the warranty applies after all the mods. The Cayman S is a very nice car to drive. If someone needs more power, buy a higher powered car. The Cayman (IMHO) is best appreciated on curves and not on a drag strip or any variation thereof.

Best,
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Jim - you are correct. I was allowing some additional money for installation, and there is the matter of whether the warranty applies after all the mods. The Cayman S is a very nice car to drive. If someone needs more power, buy a higher powered car. The Cayman (IMHO) is best appreciated on curves and not on a drag strip or any variation thereof.

Best,
bob is right on about cayman is to be appreciated in the turns. this is how i drive on track....

approaching front straight, "wot, fk fk sh*t... go go go... damn, dont you dare pass me..."

come T1, "crank wheel, great turn in, wot, heehaa.... eat your heart out" i can take inside, outside line or even off line at close to wot... "oh... tail out.. easy fix, flip the str wheel i am straight again"

come essess, "left right left, no need to slow down...oh yeah baby.

come back straight... "man, he's catching up.... sh*t. fk fk fk.... why isn't my car moving forward faster..... go go go..... dont dont you pass me and block me in the turns."
Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 AM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
bob is right on about cayman is to be appreciated in the turns. this is how i drive on track....

approaching front straight, "wot, fk fk sh*t... go go go... damn, dont you dare pass me..."

come T1, "crank wheel, great turn in, wot, heehaa.... eat your heart out" i can take inside, outside line or even off line at close to wot... "oh... tail out.. easy fix, flip the str wheel i am straight again"

come essess, "left right left, no need to slow down...oh yeah baby.

come back straight... "man, he's catching up.... sh*t. fk fk fk.... why isn't my car moving forward faster..... go go go..... dont dont you pass me and block me in the turns."

thats pretty funny!

however, once a higher HP car blow past you on the straights...good luck passing the Gt3/gt2/properly set up turbo on the turns (late braking)...except if you autocross, where the high power cars CANT use their gearing and HP advantage.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by qirex
thats pretty funny!

however, once a higher HP car blow past you on the straights...good luck passing the Gt3/gt2/properly set up turbo on the turns (late braking)...except if you autocross, where the high power cars CANT use their gearing and HP advantage.
correct, once a GT3 passes me on straight, i am history.
but if we enter the corner about same time, i can stay right on a GT3's bumper until he puts power down past the apex... (well, he should put the power down before the apex to really lose me since i got no LSD).
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I properly driven Gt3 can (ande will) put his power down earlier due to the rear engine advantage. Its this situation where the RR layout truly shines. The "tricky" part is getting used to braking earlier, and the drastic effect that the braking has on front weight transfer.

Kinda wierd...dont brake enough - you get understeer, brake later and harder - you have this wondefrul front end...that allows you to jump (not literally) on the throttle much earlier.

I love all cars - but the Carrera experience is a truly cerebral one. Its not the easiest thing to pick up and be fast with - but like anything, the gratification comes from mastery.

Quick Reply: Performance Gains from mods