Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Better Daily Driver for the Wife, 996TT or New Cayman????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig Trask
WOW!!! A constructive opinion and direct answer to a simple question, without judgement or unfounded assumptions about my wife and my relationship. Thank you Alan!
ignore the comments on this board about wives, 99% of these guys are whipped and ask their wives for permission to do anything. do a search sometime and see how many guys say " my wife wont let me" the pussification of the north american man continues.....

here are a few examples:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=wife

i could go on and on
Old 05-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doug&Julie and Jim Michaels,

You were both absolutely right, and I was dead wrong. After succumbing to guilt caused by your posts, I told her this is her decision and she should make that decision on her own. Well apparently she really didn't want a Cayman or 996 TT. Unfortunately, now I have an even worse mall cruiser in the garage where the new Porsche should be...A new SL 500 Thanks a frickin lot
Sorry. (I guess..??)

For the record, I wasn't trying to be a smartass...I just think it's better to have our wives involved in this kind of decision making. I've encouraged Julie to explore her interests in cars so she can get a better understanding of why I love them so much. You can't just tell them how to love cars, you have to open the door and let them find out for themselves. I know, sometimes they truly won't care. But more often than not you'd be surprised at how much they can enjoy it as well. Then you have a partner who loves (or at least likes) to do the things you do with the cars.

Turns out Julie would like a C4S and an old convertible Beetle. The Beetle we could do...it'll be a few years before we can do the C4S.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
ignore the comments on this board about wives, 99% of these guys are whipped and ask their wives for permission to do anything. do a search sometime and see how many guys say " my wife wont let me" the pussification of the north american man continues.....

i could go on and on
Counterpoint: My wife and I consider ourselves equals in our marriage. She bought me a Lotus Elise for X-mas 2005.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,763 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Counterpoint: My wife and I consider ourselves equals in our marriage. She bought me a Lotus Elise for X-mas 2005.
well, the Q is then, what are you buing her for xmas 06.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
it's better to have our wives involved in this kind of decision making...more often than not you'd be surprised at how much they can enjoy it as well.
My wife loves cars and told me the Cayman S is the best car I have ever owned. However, she hates shopping and hates spending money on cars. She loved my BMW X5 but when I told her what they cost she wouldn't let me buy her one. While she appreciates fine automobiles she is just as happy driving a Chevy Equinox and using the money for other things. I would rather have an X5 in the garage but I am not going to force the issue.

Alan
Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having a happy wife? Priceless.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither. Base 997 - gives her all the bells and whistles plus a sunroof, new car warranty, etc. You can avoid all the things she doesn't need, like PASM. If what she wants is a nice looking P-car with a sunroof, navigation, and automatic - there you go. She doesn't need rougher riding 19s either...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Doug&Julie and Jim Michaels,

You were both absolutely right, and I was dead wrong. After succumbing to guilt caused by your posts, I told her this is her decision and she should make that decision on her own. Well apparently she really didn't want a Cayman or 996 TT. Unfortunately, now I have an even worse mall cruiser in the garage where the new Porsche should be...A new SL 500 Thanks a frickin lot
Aw crap. Dump her and marry me. That's gotta be legal in CA, right?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
well, the Q is then, what are you buing her for xmas 06.
I surprised her with a Lexus RX330 a few months later.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by pstoppani
welcome to the 1 percenters.
equal is good...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

You wanted her to have a Porsche, and she wanted a big SUV, why not a nice Cayenne? The SL 500 is a nice car. I drove a SL 600 in triple black for a weekend.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I wouldnt bother forcing your interest in cars on a woman who couldnt really care less about them.

If she went out and bought you chiffon and lace breast pocket hankerchiefs for your suits at a cost of $399 each, you would have been just as happy with the JC Penney ones.

For 98% of the population, cars mean nothing in theirlives. They just get them from A to B. Nothing wrong with that. We cant all specialize in the same thing.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's drop the wife part out of the picture and continue debating this purchase decison. Please!?!?!

Just assume the guy said he's buying a second car.... so should he buy the Cayman S or a 996tt?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well there's no comparison in performance, as good as the Cayman S is. But it's newer, has a better interior, and a more nimbal chassis. I guess it depends on whether you want a sports car or (ultra) high performance GT.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Your wife may enjoy this 3-minute video. It's a few months old but it's a good overview; shows some really nice angles of the Cayman S, good sounds too. 6-airbags, PASM, etc. etc...hard to argue for the older Turbo esp. if she's not particularly horsepower-focused.
(sorry if repost)

Once inside the link, click on "Video Highlights of...." :
Cayman S Video

Quick Reply: The Better Daily Driver for the Wife, 996TT or New Cayman????