Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Hmm, I'm not sure which type BMW employs in their M cars. My old Mazda Rx7 Type FD ('93 Twin Turbo) used a "Torsen" (torque-sensing) limited slip diff. It worked very well in that car. I hear you on the higher end 911s and Carrera GTs coming with mechanical variable locking diffs, but I was referring to Porsches mere working people can afford LOL
The BMW M Cars use an electronic locking diff. It is an interesting solution, since it can be integrated into the electronic network that controls their stability program (unlike Porsche).

Yes, I agree that an LSD should be an option on every Porsche car made from the base Boxster on up...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:44 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche only offers clutch-type LSD's (none of the Quaife type 1-way torque biasing diffs are used)...
The BMW M Cars use an electronic locking diff. It is an interesting solution, since it can be integrated into the electronic network that controls their stability program (unlike Porsche).
Interesting. Porsche used to offer a fully-variable from (0% to 100% lock-up) electro-hydraulic (I hesitate to write 'electronic') limited-slip differential that was integrated with the ABS system.

We go forwards. We go backwards.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, they don't. It is a purely mechanical unit. There are no electric connections of any kind to the diff. You can replace it with an aftermarket unit and the car will not even know it. The only potential issue is higher ratio diffs in SMG cars affecting downshifts and even that hasn't stopped people.

You are thinking of other BMWs (330i and such) where they use (EBD or electronic brake differential). That one is totally useless.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Nope, they don't. It is a purely mechanical unit. There are no electric connections of any kind to the diff. You can replace it with an aftermarket unit and the car will not even know it. The only potential issue is higher ratio diffs in SMG cars affecting downshifts and even that hasn't stopped people.

You are thinking of other BMWs (330i and such) where they use (EBD or electronic brake differential). That one is totally useless.
No, I was definitely thinking of the M Variable Differential Lock. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought its locking ratio was controlled by an active diff that could lock and release clutch plates with electronic input...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I was definitely thinking of the M Variable Differential Lock. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought its locking ratio was controlled by an active diff that could lock and release clutch plates with electronic input...
No electronic input. Purely mechanical. 0-100% locking ratio.

Here is an article I found on google describing it http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_011219.htm

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Option?