Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman on track: follow up

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts
Default Cayman on track: follow up

my cayman's first 4 track days were at LS. it's a horsepower track lots of straights and few turns. turns are not combination turns. no esses and no true hairpins. i didn't push the car as hard as i am trying to learn how to drive it. i didn't feel the shox are too soft (soft yes, not too soft) and lack of LSD didn't bother me.

yesterday i was at infineon. a much more technical track than LS. two tight hairpins and esses. lots of combination turns. i drove the car a little harder. in the esses and combo turns, the shox felt way too soft. i had to wait wait wait for car to settle before the next turn in. also the tight T7 and 11, LSD is much needed. i felt the funny sensation of inside rear tire spinning. had to delay throttle application.

i learned to drive around those quirks. so, if anyone hears moton or jrz shipping shox for the car, post it.

btw, the car has standard suspension, no pasm, no chrono.

PS. i always turn psm off. however, i THINK i saw the psm light flicker on and off 2x during 200 miles of track driving. they were in tight right hand turns. i didn't touch the brake, car was slipping (i knew and expected it to slip, trying to rotate the *** arond), but well under control. i dont know if that was PSM coming on intervening??? maybe the psm l ight didnt flicker, just shadow? perhaps others can validate or negate next time out?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:42 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Since you do not yeat have aftermarket coilovers, I assume your front camber was at factory setting. If so, how was the wear on the front tires? I am going to VIR in a week, I am a little worried about that.

Thanks,

FT
Old 02-26-2006, 01:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mooty,

Suspension for the Cayman S is available. That car uses the exact mounting points as the 986 and 987 at the rear. The front suspension shares the mounting points with the 986/996/997/987.

This car ran a custom exhaust and Forgeline wheels at the first PCA CR this year. Not sure about the suspension, but the times were pretty good.

Talk to Spenser *** at Farnbacher-Loles, they're working on a suspension package.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:40 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

toaster, my mechanic did some magic. despite 100% stock (street tires too) we got 1.3/2.0 camber front/rear. i need more cambers still. after 600 track miles i had wear mostly on the outside that i had to flip the tire on rim for my sears point outing.

Suspension for the Cayman S is available.
_________
NJGT, thanx for the note. i spoke to earnie (the yellow cayman owner). he rund leda. i am more keen on moton or jrz's. leda is availabe NOW, but i am holding out for moton and jrz. DCLee seems to think JRZ has sometihng for cayman NOW. but i have yet to confirm that.

986 and 987 at the rear.
are you sure? i spoke with TRG, they cannot confirm it. they want my car on the lift to EXPERIMENT. i also spoke with stever weiner, who also said nothing is available for 987 or cayS. furthermore, if 986 and 987 were the same, i dont understand why moton has a set for 986 but not 987? check their site under moton club sport application section. this is rather confusing.

The front suspension shares the mounting points with the 986/996/997/987.

earnie custom fab's his header and exhaust for the yellow car. it's about $4k he can make them for you. but i will leave that alone for now, searching only for suspension work.

he runs 9 and 11" forgelines on hoosiers. i will have fikses at 8.5 and 10" with RA1 234 40 and 275 35

Talk to Spenser *** at Farnbacher-Loles, they're working on a suspension package.
_________
i did, they told me NOT READY yet....
i think by june, everyone will have some kit available for it. meanwhile i just have to train my wasit and lowerback muscles more to prop myself up on those turns ;-)

why are u doing here on cayman board? picking up a new toy, LOL! your LWT GT3 is giving some weird ideas. i though about ripping my doors and fenders off and put cup car parts on instead. then i realized i will be just as insane as you are, cheers.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:53 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked underneath the Cayman S extensively, and found plenty of 997 and 996 parts on the rear suspension, very easy to spot due to the part numbers. The front and rear wheel carriers, shocks, springs and rear trailing arms were the only parts unique I could see, but you don't need to change them at all.

The lower attachment point on the damper is exactly as on my old Boxster. The upper strut mount has to be replaced, it can't be reused with custom 2.25" springs. For a custom suspension, the rear just needs 6 bolts (attachments): 1 that is standard that connect the lower part on the damper to the wheel carrier, 3 at the top connecting the strut mounts to the tub, 2 to connect the drop link. Rear suspension is the easiest to customize (a 4 hours work), the front is more complicated due to the caster changes with different upper strut mounts, but it's shared with the 997.

I was waiting for the specs on the new 997 GT3 and even though it is a better car than the car it replaces, it's barely better. Unfortunately, a 997 GT3 with the options on my car (PCCB, Xenons, Full Leather, race seats) will run $120k+ plus the price of mods (PASM out, wider front wheels, etc). That's a $40k-$50k hit to get a brand new slower car. Based on the specs on the stock 997 GT3, that car won't be able to keep up with my lightweight 996 GT3.

I'm looking to replace my daily driver later. An used Cayman S calls my attention. It's down to a stock 997 GT3 against a modified 996 GT3 plus a stock Cayman S for the same money. I drove the Cayman S pretty hard and I like the car a lot, totally different Porsche and the perfect partner for a 996 GT3.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I drove the Cayman S pretty hard and I like the car a lot, totally different Porsche and the perfect partner for a 996 GT3.

thx for the tip on cayman. i will have my mechanic look into it some more.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Remove that heavy 50+ lbs battery. Get an 11lbs braille. The stock exhaust is pretty heavy, same thing with the seats.

Easy car to get on the 2700~ lbs.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:52 AM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the Cayman to pass sound test at Laguna Seca?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Easy car to get on the 2700~ lbs.
_________
elaborate please.
will do battery and exhaust. i ditched seat for GT3 seats already.

stock cayman will NOT pass sound at laguna, my car was 94+ db.
you can cheat.
one, after T5, move track left, upshift to 4th and coast up to T6.
two, take the exhaust tip off and manufacturer a turn down, point it down and left. i th ink you can stay track right and WOT up the hill. i will know next time i am at LS.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

pm sent
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
willr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a recent trackday, I've noticed a thin band of tyre wear outside the edge of the tread - particularly on the fronts. Is this a camber issue? The tyre pressure seemed OK.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

without seeing pix and knowing stock suspension wont give you enough camber, if you drive hard enough, the outside does wear.

with my 1.3 deg up front, i wore out the outside on all four corners. the front was particularly bad. rear had 2.0 deg. i was able to flip the ps2's on the rim to extend life. i know i am not supposed to flip PS2's but i was already at the track so it's a bit late. i noticed that on dry pavement, the grip level was almost the same after i flipped them.

with PS2, run 38/40 hot.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys:

I will have info on the JRZs within a day or two, they're about ready but will be expensive. The "budget-priced" RS (equivalent to the Moton Club Sport) may be a better buy for all but the hardcore racer. I am going to do most of the links and the control arms. We will make a custom "bladed" rear sway bar. Camber of -2 and -2.5 should be an attainable goal. The car will need a heavy fender roll-- got a little rubbing just on hard cornering today. There was a little understeer, not too much, but the front end was a little darty on tight bumpy corners. The Sebring car, by contrast, is a little loose at the moment but Ernie will work it out and once he puts the power down better, I think the Cayman will be a podium car in PCA.

I ordered the GT3 seats. The stock seats have very little lateral support.

I'm blind when it comes to "braille" batteries-- What kind of lightweight battery are you guys buying? A lot of the tiny racing models won't run the Porsche's power-hogging electrics for long. (Dyna-Batt, etc.).

I am looking to see if there's an RS-style sport clutch/flywheel combo for this car, but it may be too expensive for Stage I.

Ultimately, I would love to fit GT3 brakes on the F and move the current fronts to the R.

Exhaust: Almost anything in the header/exhaust dept. will help the car; the Euro sport exhausts on the market now are heavy and retain the pre-cats, which can go. There will be stuff out there soon, I'm sure.

Roll bar-- Somebody send me a pic of one that's been done, that would be very helpful.

Wheels-- I will opt for 9s & 10s, though you can go to 10.5 on the rears. Will wait until the suspension is done to get these made up. Going to do long wheel studs instead of the current wheel bolt setup.

This is really a great platform for a track car, I'm psyched...

Lee in D.C.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I will have info on the JRZs within a day or two, they're about ready but will be expensive. The "budget-priced" RS (equivalent to the Moton Club Sport)

Camber of -2 and -2.5 should be an attainable goal.

The car will need a heavy fender roll-- got a little rubbing just on hard cornering today.

There was a little understeer,

Exhaust: Almost anything in the header/exhaust dept. will help the car;

Roll bar-- Somebody send me a pic of one that's been done, that would be very helpful.

Wheels-- I will opt for 9s & 10s

This is really a great platform for a track car, I'm psyched...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Lee - if you are looking to get a roll cage, you really need to go to Piper, they are truly experts as they do many of the Cup cars and GrandAm car. They are right outside of the Dulles Airport, http://www.pipermotorsports.com/. and for other track prep work if you need to, you'd love Funktionauto(.com), which is next door to Piper

Quick Reply: Cayman on track: follow up