Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to get good quality and light forged wheels for track use. Many times the stock wheels are not the widths that I want because I typically use wider tires on the track. I prefer BBS and Kinesis. Fikse and Forgeline are highly regarded as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:24 PM
64wrdgerz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the SCCA rules and noticed that 5mm spacers are legal -- do you recommned using those?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the narrow spacers on my RSA for rear clearance, but don't plan to use any on the Cayman because the extra 10 mm of track width is probably not worth the extra cost to me. Note that the 5 mm spacers are the screw-on type and you should also get the extra length stud bolts. All that adds up to several hundred dollars ($590 from Porsche, as I recall, less elsewhere) for 10 mm of extra track width. I'll start autocrossing in SS this weekend completely stock to see what I can do against the Vettes. If it appears that I can't win completely stock, I'll have to rethink a few things. I did order extra Cayman wheels with Michelin Cups mounted, but I'll start out with the OE street tires to see how they work. It will be cold here, so the Cups probably won't grip very well anyway.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 02-20-2006 at 04:39 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-20-2006, 04:58 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by 64wrdgerz
I looked at the SCCA rules and noticed that 5mm spacers are legal -- do you recommned using those?

That would be 5mm on top of what you can order from the factory. So if you can get factory 5mm spacers, you can add another 5 on top and still stay legal.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
64wrdgerz
Track Day

Jim -- I see at TireRack that those M-Cups come in 235/40/18's for the front and 265/35/18 for the rears for $255 each -- is that what you buy?
Do you have them heat cycled or shaved?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I ordered, but this is my first set of M-Cups and I don't think they will grip as well at autocross as the Kumho VictoRacers (17" is their largest diameter) I've used for years. I read from several sources that the Cups don't grip well until they get some heat into them, and autocross runs are too short to build heat. They should work well after a couple of laps on track, and should be a little better driving to and from events on than the VictoRacers. I've never had tires shaved, but have ordered them heat-cycled, heat-cycled them properly myself, and heat-cycled them without the 24-hour rest period off of the car. I really couldn't tell any difference in grip, consistency, or wear across the 3 somewhat different heat-cycling procedures. It is important to drive on new tires (R-compounds as well as street tires) long enough to wear the soaked-in mold release agent off the tread before expecting maximum grip.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

i dont think cups are useful in AX. it takes 1-2 laps on track just to get to temp.
hoosiers got some very sticky stuff for AX.

pete, thanks man. i will get a set of cups and a set of ra1's. my stock rubber is about gone after 3k miles, LOL.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont think cups are useful in AX. it takes 1-2 laps on track just to get to temp.
hoosiers got some very sticky stuff for AX.

pete, thanks man. i will get a set of cups and a set of ra1's. my stock rubber is about gone after 3k miles, LOL.
Unless Hoosier pulls one out of the hat this year, the only tire to have in order to be competitive in AX is the v710.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:10 PM
64wrdgerz
Track Day

I just talked to Wheel Enhancements in L.A. and was told that LOT's of new R Compound tires from many manufacturers in 18" and 19" will be coming out this spring.
Might be interesting.

Quick Reply: Track tires?