Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the 993 guys think of your car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

JPL, if you dial in front tow out, max caster the str will feel a lot better.
yah, the suspenders are a bit soft. i am waiting for aftermarket sol'n.
with regard to engine note, there's not much there until 6000 rpm. i think you will like what you hear in that rpm range.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
JPL, if you dial in front tow out, max caster the str will feel a lot better.
John,

Is that track application, or street use as well? Did Tony C do your alignment set-up?

CP
Old 03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

yes, tony c does everything on my cars other than washing them.
well, for me anything less than 2 deg of camber is street application.
my slight toe out never felt jiggly on street. the gray car has not been aligned. it drives like a dog compared to the aligned black car. i dont know what the hell tony does, but the kid is kind of magical when it comes to suspension and alignment.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
D5LV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second your opinion Gordo. I really like the look of the Cayman, although still waiting to see one here in Vegas. Just not ready to dish out the dollars to replace my perfectly good C2 right now. Congrats to all who are fortunate enough to have the Cayman, and possibly other Porsches along with it.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
Wasn't the 993 the first Japanese influenced model <?>

tino
IIRC Porsche hired a Japanese firm to revise their methods of manufacturing Porsche's. The 964's were the last of the "hand built Porsches". The 993 design was not influenced by the Japanese although how it was built was.

From what I hear the Caymen is a fabulous performer with great potential and ability to out perform more powerful Porsche's. We had one on display at our local PCA meeting in December and it is an attractive car.

I guess like everything to each his own. We all have specific needs and wants from our ride. I have tried the GT3's and 93/96TT's All exceptional cars. For me I still prefer, although quirky, my 94 turbo. For back road driving it delivers the feeling and performance I like. There is no doubt that a boxster or Caymen S or 914-6 with 150+ less ponies, will dust me at an autocross event although to me the fun comes from the challange and some like all the newer improvements like PSM and some like it raw.

My other problem that the 911 resolves is the need for a third seat. It is nice to be able to travel with my family and the caymen, boxster, GT3 or GT2 do not offer this.

You think attitude is bad towards new technology see how bad many 911 owners react to my 928 GTS. Owning both, there is a lot to be said for this classic.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think those specific opinions from the 993 crowd are in the minority. I currently own two 993's but have owned Boxsters as well as a 356, etc. At the end of the day we're all gearheads.

I have driven the Cayman and it is a stunning car. The turn in is incredible. Handles like a go-kart. My only complaint is that it does not have an option for an LSD (lot's of wheel hop). Anyone that buys this car will be very, very happy.

Quick Reply: What the 993 guys think of your car...