Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited slip Diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:41 PM
rknebel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip Diff

I was just watching the Stig on Top Gear test the Cayman and there was alot of smoke from the rear wheels going around some corners. They commented that this was because of lack of a Limited Slip Diff and it was holding the Cayman back. They said it was another thing Porsche did to make sure the Cayman did not out perform the 911.

Comments ?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the US, 997 buyers cannot get a limited slip.

At the 2005 Porsche Parade, I asked a PCNA rep about the availability of limited slip.

He replied, "If you have PASM, you don't need it."

So I guess that sums up the attitude of PCNA.

No limited slip for you!

Last edited by Sean; 11-27-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll add that to the growing list of performance restrictions (e.g., constrained gearing and engine mapping) people say Porsche applied to the Cayman S to ensure that its performance would fit exactly where they said it would be, between the Boxster S and the 997. My early thinking was that a LSD would not be as desirable on the mid-engined cars (the Boxster and Boxster S) as it is on the rear-engined cars (997). The Boxster S doesn't have LSD and it still manages to get around quickly.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,960 Likes on 2,811 Posts

The Cayman and Boxster actually need LSD alot more than 911's, since the weight is not over the driven wheels as much. It is going to be painfully obvious that the Cayman needs an LSD when driven on the track, imho...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with the above. Any performance car needs and will only be better with the right LSD. Two wheel drive is always better than One wheel drive. Even my lowly-torque Elise will benefit from it (installing it this Winter) for the tighter corners (Autox) and low grip situations (rain, winter, etc...).
The ABD system helps a bit but never to the point of a real LSD. That's why GT3s have LSD and the Carrera S in RoW has a sport suspension option with LSD.

Last edited by cgomez; 12-01-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean
In the US, 997 buyers cannot get a limited slip.

At the 2005 Porsche Parade, I asked a PCNA rep about the availability of limited slip.

He replied, "If you have PASM, you don't need it."

So I guess that sums up the attitude of PCNA.

No limited slip for you!
I think you mean "If you have PSM (not PASM), you don't need it." Which is partly true. The PSM and ABD can apply braking to the spinning wheel, and transfer the torque to the other wheel, so in effect, it is acting like an electrically controlled LSD. The '99 996 had LSD, but they dropped it when PSM was introduced.

I'm not sure why the Cayman on the Top Gear track smoked its wheel so much; maybe that wasn't really a LSD issue, or the programming of the ABD is different on the Cayman. I've never had an inside wheel spin at the track on my 996 or 997 on a hairpin turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I read that the Top Gear Cayman tire-smoked in the wet turns only; not on the dry track.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,059 Posts

On the Porsche website PASM is listed as optional, ABD as standard, and no mention of PSM.

And A/C is not standard is seems.

So.... what's this about not needing an LSD of you've got PSM?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM
RobertG
Racer

gotta say, if your goingto to cone crusher Autocrosses. My first hand experience suggests that the Cayman S needs a LSD. But, if your going to only run tracks like Streets of willow or Laguna seca. the ABD is more than OK for this.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

ABD, PSM, and A/C (Climate Control they call it now) are standard on the Boxster and Cayman. PASM is optional, but it doesn't replace PSM. I certainly hope it doesn't become "painfully obvious" that the Cayman needs a LSD; I have a low pain threshold.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:20 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pathetic, Porsche... this is truly a slap in the face to Cayman buyers! I've been raising the issue of Porsche catering to the poseurs and status seekers instead of enthusiasts, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. Tell your customers you've developed a great new sportscar, and then don't offer LSD because "you don't need it."

What the PCNA rep meant to say was "The vast majority of new Porsche buyers DON'T KNOW WHAT AN LSD IS, so we're not offering it, to hell with enthusiasts like you."

I'm sure Dr. Porsche would be very proud to hear they're neutering their great new sportscar to make sure they can maximize sales of their flagship GT.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 AM
RobertG
Racer

well, 99% of ferrari owners dont know what a manual stick shift is.....,sad to say but tis the way of the future generations
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Pcar: I think it's a gross exaggeration to claim that no LSD "neuters" a great new sports car and is thus a slap in the face to Cayman buyers. I sold a 911 with LSD to order a Cayman, knowing it didn't have LSD before I ordered. Walter's 'Ring lap of 8:11 the first time out certainly doesn't provide support for such a claim. How much quicker would the lap have been with a LSD? Maybe a couple of seconds quicker on the 12-mile course? The Cayman S lap time was already almost too quick for its intended place in the Porsche line-up. The Cayman S fits its intended place as it comes. Any owner who wants to make his even quicker may do so. I already sense the eager anticipation of Cayman owners being waved by a 997 on track.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Elusive DaveH
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ray G
I think you mean "If you have PSM (not PASM), you don't need it." Which is partly true. The PSM and ABD can apply braking to the spinning wheel, and transfer the torque to the other wheel, so in effect, it is acting like an electrically controlled LSD. The '99 996 had LSD, but they dropped it when PSM was introduced.

I'm not sure why the Cayman on the Top Gear track smoked its wheel so much; maybe that wasn't really a LSD issue, or the programming of the ABD is different on the Cayman. I've never had an inside wheel spin at the track on my 996 or 997 on a hairpin turn.

Typically, Top Gear driver (the Stig), defeats all electronic Nanny controls. If the Cayman S electronic helpers are defeatable, this may explain the inside wheelspin during the power drift.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Elusive DaveH
Typically, Top Gear driver (the Stig), defeats all electronic Nanny controls. If the Cayman S electronic helpers are defeatable, this may explain the inside wheelspin during the power drift.
The ABD ("active brake differential") system in Porsches cannot be disengaged. It doesn't cut power and just tries to brake the spinning rear tire (but I guess only up to a certain point.

The thing with LSD is not really how much faster the car is, which I reckon in high speed corners (above 60-70mph) it doesn't do much at all (with "only" 295bhp). LSD just changes completely the way the car can be driven around corners and how it can be power-steered. Try powersliding a car without LSD and one with a good one (like an E46 M3). Having a LSD makes a car so much better, specially in street drivng where lots of fun can be had in low speed lowe gear corners.

Miatas, S2000, RX8, 350Z, BMW M Cars.... all can be had with LSDs!!! (and now the Elise too)

Quick Reply: Limited slip Diff