Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sattelite radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 PM
paralizer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sattelite radio

I'm a big fan of Sirius sattelite radio. I've heard the MOST bus makes getting it difficult. But the Cayenne can be ordered with Sirius. Wouldn't they be using the same stereo modules on both models? Therefore shouldn't it be possible to take the Sirius module for the Cayenne and adapt it for use in the 987 model line?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
Paralizer
Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the MOST bus makes it next to impossible, not difficult (trust me, I know).

DensionUSA has been promising an 'aux in' module for the MOST bus for over a year now....this would allow you to connect an iPod, XM/Sirius, etc via normal line level analog. It's been discussed in the Cayenne forum forever and they're still waiting.

As far as the Becker PCM2.5 headunit, yes the Cayenne can be ordered with a factory installed XM or Sirius module, the Carrera/Boxster family is simply waiting for S/W releases to allow the same functionality.....it's coming.

Things will pretty much stay as is until the release of PCM3 in 2008/2009 (lots of new features in that H/W release)
Old 09-29-2005, 10:52 PM
paralizer
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, the MOST bus makes it next to impossible, not difficult (trust me, I know).

DensionUSA has been promising an 'aux in' module for the MOST bus for over a year now....this would allow you to connect an iPod, XM/Sirius, etc via normal line level analog. It's been discussed in the Cayenne forum forever and they're still waiting.

As far as the Becker PCM2.5 headunit, yes the Cayenne can be ordered with a factory installed XM or Sirius module, the Carrera/Boxster family is simply waiting for S/W releases to allow the same functionality.....it's coming.

Things will pretty much stay as is until the release of PCM3 in 2008/2009 (lots of new features in that H/W release)
I ordered my car with PCM2.1. If and when they release the update will I be able to update? Will it be a software upgrade or would the hardware have to be changed. I'm almost completely computer illiterate, so please be gentle with the answer.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:25 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty much the only solution at this time is to get one with an FM transmitter. I bought the Delphi Roady2 but haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 PM
tgmd
AutoX

my dealer says sat. radio is now a $1000 option which can be ordered just like any other option on the Boxster
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

mrpc12 - let me know how it goes with the roady2. I've been thinking about getting one.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:28 AM
loliver
Instructor

my dealer says sat. radio is now a $1000 option which can be ordered just like any other option on the Boxster

Is this true? When did you hear this?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:26 PM
tgmd
AutoX

I heard this two weeks ago, and just heard this weekend from another dealer that there is no sat. radio option yet. I will try to get an option code from the first dealer as a way to confirm.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:43 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
And soon I will be adding car number 3 that will need this damn Dension "Vaporware"...

Is there any "Kool-Aid" on this side of the bbs?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 AM
mbodo
Racer

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Is there any "Kool-Aid" on this side of the bbs?
Yes .. here .. have some .. you don't need XM or MP3 players..

Don't fret too much; dension has been "promising" iPod adapters for a variety of vehicles for well over 3 years.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

ELUSIVE: I've been procrastinating on the installation mostly because my commute is only 4 miles each way and I'm not sure I'll get much use out of the radio.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
mbodo
Racer

FYI - finally sprung the $50 for an FM Transmitter to hook up my non-iPod MP3 player. I *think* it is called iRiver, not exactly sure, but it plugs into the cigarette lighter and into the line-out/headphone jack of your MP3 player.

Pros: Was only $50. Can choose just about any FM frequency. Self contained unit. Works with our diversity antennas.

Cons: Self contained unit BEARLY fits in the armrest, and would most likely cause damage to someone's shins if plugged in on the passenger side. Sound quality is nowhere near as good as a direct line-in. All controls are on the "front" of the unit, which is not visible when plugged in, and when off you have no idea what the buttons do (one has to hunt & peck and hope they hit the right button combinations to get the desired station, or you could read the manual I suppose). Our 12V appliance outlets are ALWAYS ON, so you have to unplug it after each drive (or face the consequences)

Given the alternatives (none as of today) it's a pretty decent option. Should a $350 aux-in port become available, I would gladly ditch this $50 transmitter.

Quick Reply: Sattelite radio