Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Model Delete so Popular? Or isn't it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Over here, all the badge delete BMW's are 4-cylinder..
My BMW's an M3, and I have model delete. Actually, all my M Cars have been model-deleted... Its nice that people don't know what the car is, until it takes off...

I'd never model-delete a porsche though... the script is so intrinsic to the design, that Cayennes/Boxsters/911s without the script just have that HUGE expanse of bare metal... looks a bit odd...

But for the record, C7S would have been a MUCH better name... "C7 Club-Sport" anyone?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'd prefer the number to be my Aunt Tilly's birthday

Actually I think Cayenne is cool and would be better suited to the Boxster. I'll never understand how that is related to an SUV. Perhaps over in Sh-h-h-tuttgart something gets lost in translation. Also, maybe they are trying to protect the exclusivity of the 911 by bestowing names on the other platforms. Kind of defeats marketing strategy, but who knows. Would be nice to be a fly on the wall in their think tanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Cayenne name originated with Wiedieking. According to the media, he's into gardening and grows cayenne peppers in his backyard. (I kid you not.) Plus, they apparently want brand names beginning with Ca.....Carrera, Cayenne, Cayman.

In hindsight, I'm surprised they didn't call the Boxster a "986 Spyder." There's obviously a long history of Porsche Spyders.

From a marketing perspective, I can see the advantage to using brand names. The average consumer couldn't tell you the difference between a 944, 904, 928, or 924. Brand names are far more memorable.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by designman
Also, maybe they are trying to protect the exclusivity of the 911 by bestowing names on the other platforms. Kind of defeats marketing strategy, but who knows. Would be nice to be a fly on the wall in their think tanks.
The 911 is actually officially dead by Porsche... they call it solely "Carerra"... although what they're going to do when the RS, Turbo and GT models start coming along is anyone's guess... don't think there's enough space on the back there for the full names...
Old 10-05-2005, 02:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
The 911 is actually officially dead by Porsche... they call it solely "Carerra"...
Interesting you would say that since the 997 commercial campain released by Porsche specifically states (taken from them directly) "introducing the new 911 Carrera, it is quite simply the purist expression of who we are....Porsche, there is no substitute" Hmmmmm, I would say that 911 is alive and well.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:23 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean
...they apparently want brand names beginning with Ca.....Carrera, Cayenne, Cayman.
Hmm, yeah. "Category 5" might be a good name. Where have we been hearing this lately?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

The 911 is actually officially dead by Porsche... they call it solely "Carerra"...
Curious. "911" is all over their website and literature. It is attached at the hip to all of the versions... 911 Carrera, 911 Turbo etc. Regardless of their official designation and their individual fates, "911" is eternal as the Roman Coliseum.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Interesting you would say that since the 997 commercial campain released by Porsche specifically states (taken from them directly) "introducing the new 911 Carrera, it is quite simply the purist expression of who we are....Porsche, there is no substitute"
How about we just pretend that I never said that...
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

My BMW's an M3, and I have model delete. Actually, all my M Cars have been model-deleted... Its nice that people don't know what the car is, until it takes off...

I'd never model-delete a porsche though... the script is so intrinsic to the design, that Cayennes/Boxsters/911s without the script just have that HUGE expanse of bare metal... looks a bit odd...

But for the record, C7S would have been a MUCH better name... "C7 Club-Sport" anyone?
Are you serious? Enthusiasts can spot an M3 in a heart beat, with or without badges, and they can also spot the 330s that try to look like an M3 in a heart beat.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

How about we just pretend that I never said that...
if that makes you feel better......
Old 10-06-2005, 12:18 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Porsche is simply running out of project #'s that are under 1000. Maybe they are saving the last of the 900 series #'s for the 911. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have prefered a 987 coupe or a 987 SC. I don't think the CS badge would work because it doesn't seem to be a club sport.

I'm very interested in the Caymen (in a couple of years) and I would definately order it with the model delete. But, I just really prefere the debadged look. I just took off all of the badges on my Sti. The rear WRX, the rear Sti, the side sti, the front foglamp sti, and the front grill sti. It looks a lot better.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Actually that has been discussed....ad nauseum.

The internally numbers don't mean much. Us enthusiasts like to say what "internal" model we have, but it is STILL a 911 or a Boxster,etc.

Besides (as discussed previously), there are MANY 900 series numbers not used and they DO NOT have to go in some temporal fashion.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by fast1
Are you serious? Enthusiasts can spot an M3 in a heart beat, with or without badges, and they can also spot the 330s that try to look like an M3 in a heart beat.
Yeah... but who said anything about "enthusiasts"? Most of the people who give you crap at the lights are of the Max Power fraternity (18s and rear-wings on 75bhp hatchbacks)... and the model delete on M Cars only covers the rear sign... the gills and wheels still have the emblem...
Old 10-21-2005, 11:46 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
C7

C = 100 + 7 = 1007

tino
Factory must've had an inferiority complex concerning the C6 Corvette.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

One thing I can assure you is that PAG has zero inferiority complex toward GM.

Quick Reply: Why is Model Delete so Popular? Or isn't it?