Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Model Delete so Popular? Or isn't it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The names sucks...but I still want one. And if I get one, I will likely delete the badge. And I really dont care what people think it is. People who know and love sports cars will know what it is.
Wait till the non-S vesion comes out....I bet more people will delete that badge more than the S version. At lease there is an S following the name for the current model, not just plain Cayman..it just looks too much like Gayman. I mean they could of spelled it a couple different ways...Caiman or Caeman. If Porsche likes reptiles so much just call it the gator or the kamotto dragon,lol. I would even prefer any combination of the following even....C7S Coupe, 7SCoupe, Coupe7S, Box-coupe, Boxtop(j/k) or just plain C7-S is fine with me.
Lou
Old 09-30-2005, 03:47 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The name "Cayman" is a nightmare - if I were an 8-13 year old kid, I would have my permanent marker in hand waiting to christen my first "Gayman"

I think Porsche's marketing team was asleep at the switch if they didn't anticipate a problem with this name. They really didn't think this through AT ALL! I don't know who they're hiring for their marketing, I mean did you see the promo video on the website? My GOD, it's like they assembled a team of 20 year old undergrad students from a local community college, and gave them the instructions "come up with a cheesy promo targeted at homosexual yuppies, and don't hold back on the cliches..."
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys need to develop less sensitive egos. GAYman ???? Gimme a break - who gives a crap what the name sounds like ?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:48 PM
BigLou
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sensitive egos has nothing to do with it. Its a terrible way of spelling a name for a car. I am sure there were so many names they were conisdering before some jackass at Porsche decided to approve this one. I just think its a terrible spelling and sounding name of a great car.
Lou
Old 09-30-2005, 12:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have to agree with Lou on this one. Besides, if they want to honor that damn croc so bad why not spell it correctly! C-A-I-M-A-N. If they insisted on C-A-Y-M-A-N why not just add I-S-L-A-N-D as well or G-R-A-N-D to the front? They should have just put C7S and I am sure there would have been little argument from the faithful following.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

Originally Posted by willr
Both of those are made by Peugeot - perhaps I'll put a lion badge on mine instead of a crocodile...
Alligator (closest relative). Not to mention that Cayman tastes much different than crocodile - just has hard to kill though (or so I've heard anyway ).
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
willr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dig-It
Alligator (closest relative). Not to mention that Cayman tastes much different than crocodile - just has hard to kill though (or so I've heard anyway ).
I thought they all tasted like chicken
Old 09-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

Originally Posted by willr
I thought they all tasted like chicken
Maybe if you soaked the chicken in swamp water for all its life.

Back to the topic though:

Having personnally seen a cayman in a fight, I believe (IMHO) that it's a worthy namesake. However, I'm still learning about the Porsche lineage and I'm not sure that I understand why they decided on that name. As of late, there seems to be a departure from traditional model designation. Boxster I get, though I belive that the 986/987 name is more traditional. I have no clue where Cayenne came from.

Last edited by Dig-It; 09-30-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:20 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dig-It
Maybe if you soaked the chicken in swamp water for all its life.

Back to the topic though:

Having personnally seen a cayman in a fight, I believe (IMHO) that it's a worthy namesake. However, I'm still learning about the Porsche lineage and I'm not sure that I understand why they decided on that name. As of late, there seems to be a departure from traditional model designation. Boxster I get, though I belive that the 986/987 name is more traditional. I have no clue where Cayenne came from.
I think these names are coming from a group of young Harvard MBAs, who have little appreciation or understanding of Porsche or its history... so they come up with focus groups of their most likely customers (draw your own conclusions on who they use for their focus groups, but I guarantee they're not enthusiasts!), and BAM! Cayenne.... BAM! Gayman... BAM! Panamera...

Personally it doesn't really matter what the car is called.. but it's still a ridiculous name.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe part of our problem is that we just don't like names much; we like numbers better. Using model numbers allows us to keep our insiders' jargon from being inderstood by outsiders; most of whom don't know what numbers like 951, 964, 993, 986, 996, 987, and 997 refer to. Of course, almost everyone knows what a 911 is by now, but Boxster even gives some of us problems.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 10-01-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Panamera at least references Carrera Panamericana, the legendary border-to-border Mexican road race in which the 550 Spyder performed so well.

Cayenne and Cayman are just random words, presumably chosen because they go well with Carrera.

Porsche has 50 years of racing history from which to draw inspiration. Instead, we get vehicles named after cooking spice and reptiles.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:10 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sean
Panamera at least references Carrera Panamericana, the legendary border-to-border Mexican road race in which the 550 Spyder performed so well.

Cayenne and Cayman are just random words, presumably chosen because they go well with Carrera.

Porsche has 50 years of racing history from which to draw inspiration. Instead, we get vehicles named after cooking spice and reptiles.
Yes, but I don't think we need to apply names that actually have some racing heritage to automobiles that have NOTHING to do with racing whatsoever. So if they want to use meaningless names to badge their new road cars that's fine, but for the sake of the guy shelling out 80 grand for a Cayman, the model delete is the LEAST they could do!!

I wonder when the next brilliant name will be something like "Dominator" or "Destroyer" or "Slasher" there's no limit to how cheesy they'll get, if it pleases their new market base
Old 10-01-2005, 02:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So true......if you notice several U.S. auto makers are following the trend used with MB, BMW, P-Car, etc with numbers instead of these cheezy names. It would not have killed them to call the Cayman the 987 SC (Sport Coupe') or C7S.....but then that would look like the Vette C7? Anything but a fricking croc.

We could go round and round trying to figure this out but I am sure as p964 said, some young MBAs with no idea what Porsche means to the faithful came up with this crap name. Off my soapbox now.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

On the Cayman's type number, I quote the TECH NOTES from Excellence, November 2005.
... I am unsure of the model number for the Cayman S. Is it classed as a 987, or something else entirely?

The Cayman is not a Boxster, but it still uses the 987 type number. It's based on the Boxster platform, of course, but the Cayman's coupe bodywork means it has a different chassis in terms of configuration and stiffness. The Cayman S is labeled as 987-120 internally, while the regular Cayman that will follow caries (sic) the designation 987-110. The standard 987 Boxster is called the 987-310 within the factory's walls while the Boxster S is the 987-320. So the Cayman won't have its own model-number prefix.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Maybe part of our problem is that we just don't like names much; we like numbers better. Using model numbers allows us to keep our insiders' jargon from being inderstood by outsiders; most of whom don't know what numbers like 951, 964, 993, 986, 996, 987, and 997 refer to. Of course, almost everyone knows what a 911 is by now, but Boxster even gives some of us problems.
Jim, You hit the nail on the head. That is, at least I agree. I never cared for the name "Boxster" either, it's lame and does not befit a sports car IMO. I prefer numbers. It’s hard to argue with them unless you are a numerologist. But the bottom line is we can’t be dwelling on this. It is what it is.

Quick Reply: Why is Model Delete so Popular? Or isn't it?