Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intent of the Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Homyrrh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intent of the Cayman S?

Not being of the same caliber of expertise that my fellow Porsche cronies at Rennlist are, I am not quite sure of what Porsche's goals for the Cayman S are. In fact, I know quite little about anything regarding its performance, options, etc.

Based on what I've read on the boards, the Cayman S doesn't seem to measure up to it's 911 brethren, yet surpasses the Boxster in performance. The center of my confusion comes with the pricing thread on the Cayman S in which $85k was said to be expensive for one INCLUDING options.

Some please explain.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make a Buttload of money <?>

tino
Old 08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Without having driven on yet, it appears that Porsche is attempting to appeal to the enthusiast that can’t afford the GT3. The car is suppose to me more of drivers car. The Boxster has always had impeccable handling, just down on power. The Cayman offers a small step up in power with chassis that is stiffer. The handling should be superb. Arguably the Cayman is being artificially restricted with not enough power. As for performance numbers, there are reports that the CaymanS will lap the ‘ring faster than the standard Carrera and within a few seconds of the Carrera S. Some argue the mid-engine lay out is superior to the rear engine 911. Also there are arguments the 911 has gotten to GTish. Some will even argument that Porsche is test the water to see if a mid engine car could be a replacement for the 911. The theories are all over the place. It all boils down to the fact that Porsche thinks it can make $$$. The preliminary reports from the car magazines is that the car is very fun and maybe better than the 911 from a driving stand point.

The base price is something like $58,500. As any Porsche fan is aware Porsche options are numerous and expensive to say the least. A person that options out a Cayman to $85k is likely to option out a Carrera to well over $100k. Expect the option pricing to be similar to the Boxster. There are very high ticket items like the PCCB brakes that cost in excess of $8,500 alone.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

I tend to think that all the "rumors" are just that......rumors.

I think Porsche saw an opportunity to give the public what they wanted for a long time.......a coupe that was cheaper than the 911. To make it special and to earn its price tag they gave it a bigger engine and tweeked the handling. I don't think the 911 is going anywhere and I don't think the Cayman was meant to be a mini GT3 either. It's a Boxster coupe with more power, great dynamics, and will be a blast to drive.......that's what the general public was looking for. A small percentage were looking for a stripped track car......this is not it, although a CS version of it would be nice......hope they do it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

It is definitely going to be a drivers car! At every autocross it is always Boxsters scoring super hot laps. The Cayman is going to be amazing im sure. A stripped Cayman (you can do it yourself) will be a blast on track or autoX.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've read the Cayman order guide and a $85k Cayman S would be very highly optioned (although I read where someone got a Boxster S to that level). I added up the prices of the options I plan to order (almost all performance related, no interior frosting) and the total came to about $6k. Base price of $58.9k plus $6k in options yields a Cayman for $64.9k. My guess is that the Cayman with "average" options will run somewhere around $70k. Optioning a new Porsche is a little like bidding at an auction; once started, one can easily get carried away by the emotions of the moment.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I've read the Cayman order guide and a $85k Cayman S would be very highly optioned (although I read where someone got a Boxster S to that level). I added up the prices of the options I plan to order (almost all performance related, no interior frosting) and the total came to about $6k. Base price of $58.9k plus $6k in options yields a Cayman for $64.9k. My guess is that the Cayman with "average" options will run somewhere around $70k. Optioning a new Porsche is a little like bidding at an auction; once started, one can easily get carried away by the emotions of the moment.
I am curious as to how you would respond to the argument that for a few more thousand dollars you could have a 911 with a back seat. Why buy the baby Porsche? I am only posing these questions and it has nothing to do with how I feel about the Cayman. I happen to think it represents the future sport car configuration of Porsche. The days of the engine hanging behind the rear axle are coming to a close.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

Nick,

I'll have a go at that. I'm not sure why so many people assume that the 911 is more desirable than the Cayman. I have owned several 911's including a GT3 and a GT3 cup. Wonderful cars. Now that I have been there, donethat, I want to own the car that I've been waiting for - a mid engined coupe !
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick
The days of the engine hanging behind the rear axle are coming to a close.
I sincerely hope you are wrong, as a 911 still has a certain character not found in any other car.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've stated similar views to yours about the rear-engined Porsche at rennlist recently. First the air-cooled part goes, allowing 4-vales per cylinder and more hp; then the rear-engine part goes, allowing for better handling. But the 911 still sells, and even does well on the track. Porsche must be wondering how to drop it without losing money. The Cayman S might be their toe in to test the waters. To satisfy your curiosity though, my reponse to "for a few dollars more you could get a 911 with a back seat" is that I'd rather have a mid-engine than back seats. I've already got a 911, and could certainly buy a new one; but now I want the more modern mid-engined Porsche (I really think Porsche wants to climb into the 21st century). I was tempted with the 987 S, but decided to wait for the coupe. Looks like the coupe I was waiting for turned out to be an even better driver's car than I'd hoped. As for the label "the baby Porsche" the Cayman S replies, "You talk'n to me, Punk?"
Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
bet
Drifting

I am curious as to how you would respond to the argument that for a few more thousand dollars you could have a 911 with a back seat. Why buy the baby Porsche? I am only posing these questions and it has nothing to do with how I feel about the Cayman. I happen to think it represents the future sport car configuration of Porsche. The days of the engine hanging behind the rear axle are coming to a close.
While I understand that some people want/need the back seats of the 911, your question seems to assume that the 911 is a better car than the Cayman S. This is not necessarily the case under all circumstances nor to all people. I would argue there are people out there that prefer the mid engine handling dynamics of the Cayman/Boxster to the 911 rear engine handling dynamics. Not to mention the functionality of the back seats of the 911 are questionable (heck I drive with the rear seat folded down into the shelve 99.9% of the time).

That said I understand the 911 is the bread winner for Porsche and I think there will be many a salesman that will make the argument you just made to potential buyers and I am sure there will be buyers that will identify with it. The 911 has over 30 years of history, reputation, aura and mystique that the Cayman will not be able to fight against. There are always going to buyers (at least at this point in time) that will buy the 911 for no other reason than to say they have a 911. This is not to say the 911 is an inferior car, really just the opposite. Instead my point is merely to say that just because the Cayman is not a 911 does not make it an inferior car either (this comes from a 911 owner).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
First the air-cooled part goes, allowing 4-vales per cylinder and more hp; then the rear-engine part goes, allowing for better handling. But the 911 still sells, and even does well on the track. Porsche must be wondering how to drop it without losing money. The Cayman S might be their toe in to test the waters.
You've managed to put into four sentences thoughts that I haven't been able to express adequately in multiple paragraphs.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
fpol
Track Day

The days of the engine hanging behind the rear axle are coming to a close.
I hope not - there's something appealing to taking something 'wrong' and making it work.

Nothing wrong with Porsche adding a mid engined line - but I hope the always provide us with that quandary of engineering.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
bet
Drifting

Originally Posted by fpol
I hope not - there's something appealing to taking something 'wrong' and making it work.

Nothing wrong with Porsche adding a mid engined line - but I hope the always provide us with that quandary of engineering.
There is nothing wrong with keeping the rear engine design around, but....The real question and issue then becomes, do you continue to hinder the performance of other lines/platforms for the purpose of keeping the other on top?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:27 PM
LanceK
Pro

Originally Posted by Rick Longano
Nick,

I'll have a go at that. I'm not sure why so many people assume that the 911 is more desirable than the Cayman. I have owned several 911's including a GT3 and a GT3 cup. Wonderful cars. Now that I have been there, donethat, I want to own the car that I've been waiting for - a mid engined coupe !

My thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply: Intent of the Cayman S?