Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's just me, or the Cayman S promises to be a heavy car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by ljd-924SE
so for about the cost of a cayman S, you can have a modernized version of the last true dual purpose (road and track) designed porsche and have a better power to weight ratio than a dodge viper SRT-10. and if you've ever seen what those cobra replicas can do around the track, then you can appreciate how important power to weight is.
I run on the track all the time with Cobra replicas and while they're beautiful and cool, I'm not too impressed (with their track performance and road manners). I certainly appreciate power/weight advantages, but those Cobras are slow in the corners and don't appear to handle too well. That's why I was hoping the 904 replica is much better rendered (I bet it is).
Old 07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, that we've completely high-jacked the thread . . .

most cobras use a live rear axel setup and are definately slower through the corners, though there are now many independent rear suspension setups for the different cobra replicas available. not that i would ever infer that a cobra's handling is even in the same league as a porsche.

but what really impressed me during my very brief experience in a cobra replica was the amount of g-forces that the tires could maintain (forward and lateral) due to the car's light weight. heavier cars have to use humongous tires in order to generate the same G's. and that's what is great about the cobra; it's just you, a V8, and some tires, not much else.

i expect the 904 to feel nearly as raw, but with better balance, control, and overall poise. it's when you strip everything else away that the benefits of a mid-engine layout become most apparent. and that's something to think about with respect to the cayman S vs. 997 argument.

Last edited by ljd-924SE; 07-26-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: It's just me, or the Cayman S promises to be a heavy car?