Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S = $58k / Cayman = $??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005 | 08:21 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

BenPatient,

Hard to predict the future, but if everyone refused to pay more than the car was worth, the venerable 911 would have been finished many years ago. My guess is that Porsche will have no problem selling as many Caymans as the can produce at MSRP.
Old 07-27-2005 | 05:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnfm
**** weather and overpriced cars.......
...but you have that cool "James Bond" accent.
Old 07-27-2005 | 06:30 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I think this thread is on to something. The Cayman S sounds like the Porsche that many (including me) who wouldn't buy the 987 or 997 have been saying they would buy if Porsche would only build it. Well, Porsche built it, so I expected to see those who said thay would buy it do so. But instead I'm hearing talk about waiting for the more expensive RS/CS version, which may or may not come in a few years. Life is short, so don't wait. Just do it. As for Porsche marketing, does anybody do it any better than they do? I resent their huge profit margin only a little bit. If I thought the car wasn't worth my money, I just wouldn't buy it. I think the Cayman S will be worth my money.
Old 07-28-2005 | 10:02 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BenPatient
The Cayman S costs porsche a LOT less to make than the Boxster S does...yet it holds a 10K premium...This is what companies with a really good product (or a captive market) do to make massive profits. The base Boxster is their least profitable vehicle, from a per-car basis...They don't need another least-profitable vehicle...They need to take advantage of their position and pardon me, abuse their customer base. The relative value of a Cayman S is much higher than the relative cost of a Cayman S, at least in Porsche world.
I disagree with your whole post Ben, but I'll focus in on this point in particular.

1) I hope Porsche makes money hand over fist with this car. I hope Porsche makes money hand over fist with ANY and EVERY car. As a matter of fact, most anyone who has posted in this thread with similar sentiments to Ben... WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH A CAR COMPANY WE CLAIM TO LOVE MAKING MONEY?!?!?!?!

2) The 911 is an icon. It's here to stay. Get over it. Porsche must work around it, we must deal with it.

3) ABUSE their customer base? My mom always told me I was a sucker for punishment when I'd go after the pretty blonds, but seriously... ABUSE ME PORSCHE!!! Make me drive around all day in an amazingly beautiful, beast of a performer, chick magnet of a car. That would suck so bad.

The value of this car (or any product, for that matter) is NOT based on your opinion. Even more pertinent is that it is NOT based on what it costs to manufacture it. (You really need to pay attention to this) If that were the case- CDs would cost $0.75 a piece. Major League Baseball game tickets would be $2. The single major determining factor is the cost of a product is what we are willing to pay for it. And from the early demand for this car, people are lining up to pay for this one. I wish Porsche would make $60K on every Cayman S it sold.
Old 07-28-2005 | 12:47 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
I disagree with your whole post Ben,...
And I disagree with YOUR whole post.

Ben made some very valid points, and I agree with many of them. When ANY company/corporation/manufacturer has a profit margin this big I consider it greed, and I also feel that Porsche is charging too much for their vehicles.

As to your point about these cars being 'chick magnets', I would say the opposite is true. Girls in my town are VERY wary of any single guy who drives a Porsche.
Old 07-28-2005 | 02:54 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
And I disagree with YOUR whole post.

Ben made some very valid points, and I agree with many of them. When ANY company/corporation/manufacturer has a profit margin this big I consider it greed, and I also feel that Porsche is charging too much for their vehicles.

In all reality, you are being just as greedy. That's what kills me about this whole attitude of "punishing for success." What should Porsche charge for their excellent product? The answer is, "whatever they can to maximize their profit." If they build a car that people will pay $75,000 for it, they should charge every bit of that $75K. The market sets the prices, not you. You can "think" they charge to much all you want, but it makes little difference. They only are charging too much if it doesn't sell. It isn't up to you. There is a huge mass of people who decide what is too much and you are only a small part of it. The fact is, Porsche has been doing pretty well for a car manufacturer in a climate in which most car manufacturers are languishing.

It is also odd that a $60K car set off this debate as opposed to the $400K+ Carrera GT. I know a great many people who said, "I would NEVER pay $400,000 for ANY car." So they agree with you, in essence. To them, no car is worth $400K. And they may even have an argument, as many Carrera GTs can still be had for factory sticker. But nonetheless, they have sold pretty well for a hyperexotic car. Which means, Porsche was pretty close in valuing that car.

Not only that, I would suspect the profit margin is less than you would expect. However, I am not going to debate that point much- as it really doesn't matter. The idea that at a certain profit percentage some entity ceases to be a decent business and all of the sudden becomes greedy is laughable to say the least. This is not healthcare here. Is the musician who spends all his life busting his butt in coffee houses and college bars greedy if he makes it big and starts charging twice or three times as much for his CDs? Not any more than he was before. So basically, when you boil your point down- anyone who is in business to make money is greedy.

As far as them being "chick magnets," I think you took that a little too seriosuly.

Last edited by Porsh-uh; 07-28-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2005 | 03:01 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Calm down Scott, we're all entitled to our feelings. As far as what they charge, I think it IS up to us. I was at a market research study and was asked DIRECTLY about my opinions about price points for their vehicles. I know EXACTLY how the make these decisions, and now that I've owned a Porsche for 5 years, I think I am entitled to say that it was priced a LITTLE too high.

Right now I'm waiting to see what Toyota and Honda come out with in the next few years. My next car may come from Japan....
Old 07-28-2005 | 03:37 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Okay- I do get a little carried away about this. I'm not even going to go into why, just suffice it to say I am sorry if I stepped over the line.

Anyway- I totally agree it is up to US. Not a few individuals. I even agree that you can say you payed too much for your Porsche. However, I still stand by my assertion that a company does not become greedy simply because it can charge a premium for their product. In addition, I don't think they are ABUSING THEIR CUSTOMERS by doing so either. Ever stayed in a really expensive hotel? Really- you're paying for a very nice bed and a whole bunch of butt-kissing. Are they abusing their customers because they're are charging, at least, 3x a square foot what the people over at Holiday Inn are charging? Absolutely not, because people who stay in those types of hotels prefer to pay for the extra service.
Old 07-28-2005 | 03:53 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I will GLADLY pay a premium for good service. So far I would say that I've been fairly satisfied with Porsche's service, but I don't think it's as good as Toyota's (from what I hear, anyway). Overall, I have been VERY happy with my car. As for the price, I do feel that it was a bit overpriced, but not like I was GOUGED or anything. I think they are priced about 10% to 15% too high. But then again, the new Acura NSX (when it comes out in 2 or 3 years) will probably cost as much or MORE than a 911.

My problem is also that I like to buy cars NEW, and that always carries additional pain in the wallet.
Old 07-28-2005 | 05:08 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

Hey Guys,

Didn't they teach us in ECON 101 that the definition of fair market price was that amount which a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller when neither party is under duress ?? Assuming that defintion still stands, only the reaction of the market will determine the "fairness" of the price. And while we're on the subject of profits, doesn't Porsche have the responsibility to its shareholders to provide them with the highest possible return on their investment ? I think this is called capitalism.
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:19 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

It's all the OTHER stuff that makes owing a Porsche trying.....the insurance, the tax, the registration, the luxury tax, no mercy from cops, jealousy,.....etc.

If these cars cost 20% less, would we think any less of them? Well, there would be a lot more of them on the road....

I think they should keep the prices where they are, but give us a bit more for our money. Whether that is in the form of performance or in better quality interior materials.
Old 07-29-2005 | 11:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

the luxury tax is no more.
Old 07-30-2005 | 12:18 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
I think they should keep the prices where they are, but give us a bit more for our money. Whether that is in the form of performance or in better quality interior materials.
Now we are on to something here......

I to don't mind Porsche charging what they do (although the Cayman is a little more $$$ than it should be).......but these ARE premium cars and things such as auto climate control, auto dimming mirrors, homelink, xenon lights, floormats, etc. should all be standard!.......even PASM should be included with a delete option for people who want a regular suspension to modify. Many cars that cost a lot less have these standard.

When I buy a Porsche with a base price $20K more than a competitor I should get a lot more content for the money.......I know I'm getting a great sports car, but sometimes it seems I'm buying a Hyundai with all the stuff it doesn't come standard with.
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:55 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenPatient
the problem is, though, that unlike the 928, the cayman has more going for it than the 911 in most "practical" car respects. It lacks (considerable) heritage, but let's not fool ourselves.

The Cayman S costs porsche a LOT less to make than the Boxster S does...yet it holds a 10K premium...This is what companies with a really good product (or a captive market) do to make massive profits. The base Boxster is their least profitable vehicle, from a per-car basis...They don't need another least-profitable vehicle...They need to take advantage of their position and pardon me, abuse their customer base. The relative value of a Cayman S is much higher than the relative cost of a Cayman S, at least in Porsche world.

The only way this thing is bad for Porsche is if they got the market wrong and nobody buys them...because dealers will sell them for something closer to the invoice (which is probabably well under 40K), the resale value will drop to reflect this, and we will all get our 35K slightly-used cayman S monsters.

I hope for Porsche's sake that this doesn't happen, but I hope for my ow sake...sorta...that it does. Because I'm not paying more for something that costs less to make just because someone wants me to and thinks they can get me to do it.

I'd rather have a 911 than a cayman, but i'd rather have a cayman than a boxster. A $38,000 dollar Cayman would become incredibly popular. They'll never do it, but the market might do it for them....
Invoice under 40k? ....do you think Porsche is going to let it's dealer make 2x as much on the cayman as on the 911? Cost is probably well under 40k for Porsche but invoice? No way....
Old 08-10-2005 | 01:58 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I think this thread is on to something. The Cayman S sounds like the Porsche that many (including me) who wouldn't buy the 987 or 997 have been saying they would buy if Porsche would only build it. Well, Porsche built it, so I expected to see those who said thay would buy it do so. But instead I'm hearing talk about waiting for the more expensive RS/CS version, which may or may not come in a few years. Life is short, so don't wait. Just do it. As for Porsche marketing, does anybody do it any better than they do? I resent their huge profit margin only a little bit. If I thought the car wasn't worth my money, I just wouldn't buy it. I think the Cayman S will be worth my money.
After naming the car the Cayman S I think their marketing department sunk to the bottom......must be cost-cutting over there at Porsche for more profits....

Quick Reply: Cayman S = $58k / Cayman = $??