Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S article

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:23 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S article

Link
Old 05-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Two things stand out on the article for me.

"Two magazines have now witnessed 987s lapping faster than 997s — and the difference appears to be even slimmer on real-world roads." WOOHOOOO!!!!

"The oil was coming from a leaking rear main seal, something that’s plagued many of the water-cooled sixes in Boxsters and 996s. We were hoping Porsche had eliminated this issue in its new-gen cars; perhaps the failure in this early 987 is a fluke?" BOOOOOO!!! HISSSS!!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"When our Speed Yellow test car arrived, it had clearly been run hard and put away wet. A victim of repeated track days, this Boxster exhibited both braking and handling that seemed a bit off the mark. Disturbingly, it also left a pool of oil on the floor of our garage — an ominous sign. A call to PCNA netted clearance to book the car into Sonnen Porsche, our local dealer. There, technicians put the car up on a lift and confirmed our suspicions.

The oil was coming from a leaking rear main seal, something that’s plagued many of the water-cooled sixes in Boxsters and 996s. We were hoping Porsche had eliminated this issue in its new-gen cars; perhaps the failure in this early 987 is a fluke? As for the suspension and brakes, the latter needed a full flush while the alignment was way off. When the car was on the lift, they noticed green masking tape on its passenger-side floorpan seam, indicating the lower rocker got repainted. Whether it was due to a minor cosmetic mishap or a serious off-road excursion we’ll never know, but we were glad to see the alignment came back to factory specs without difficulty. Apparently, this 987 had already lead a tough life in just 5,216 miles"

WTF??? Is that problem so difficult for Porsche to fix??
Old 06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

The problem is fairly prevalent but just how prevalent I don't know. I'm now aware of two (local) RMS issues and one slipped cylinder- this is just on newer Boxsters- and does not include 996s. These are people I actually know- local PCA members- the oldest car is a 2001.

Porsche has evidently been pretty good about picking up the costs of repairs- even for vehicles out of warranty- and thus has done a remarkable job of keeping this quiet. But how many cars- two out of ten- one out of ten- five out of ten??? are affected would be pretty hard information to find out. But.... I now believe a long term warranty is a must unless you're not keeping the car for long...and that the real problem has yet to be fixed.

What confused me about the article though is that they apparently picked up the car next day and everything was fixed....or was it? Did I miss something???

And despite the RMS issues- I still love the darn thing and am trying to talk the wife into one.

Quick Reply: Boxster S article