Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Boxster S driving/ownership reports?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

the boxster S came off the truck, just as the Strad returned from service, so we had backed up flatbeds...

with the pasm and sport on the handling in fantastic. maybe not quite as good as the strad but quite superb. i tried my usual road test on my very bumpy tight road [hume] and was very impressed.

of course more power would be nice, but if you keep the rev.s up, it's not bad.

fit and finish excellent, love the 2 trunks, love the 3! plugs for radar, cells, etc

more to follow next week
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 AM
rodtraut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an 05 Boxster S with Tip about a month ago and we love it. We are still dodging snowflakes in Chicago, so have only put 500 miles on it. I am imppressed with the handling especially and the feel of the car. I was a little skeptical at first, but my wife really liked it (she wants to auto-x it and take to track). And have to admit the tip is nice in traffic. Will use as daily driver when spring finally gets here

Especially glad we went with the 05 vs the 04. there were some great deals on 04's, but not good enough to offset the built in depreciation, higher 05 horsepower and better 05 interior.

Biggest problem now will be wife avoiding speeding tickets in the thing.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rodtraut
Biggest problem now will be wife avoiding speeding tickets in the thing.
Get her to a track ASAP. That cures the street racer demon in me.

Congrats on getting your cars. I'm still waiting for mine.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 PM
rodtraut
Track Day

Originally Posted by Palting
Get her to a track ASAP. That cures the street racer demon in me.

Congrats on getting your cars. I'm still waiting for mine.
You are correct I hope. She is starting out in auto-x at end of April. Asked her if she wanted some louder mufflers(the car already sounds pretty good as is) and a roll bar. Said no, not yet. I figure that will last until she loses her first auto-x.

April will be here before you know it. I think you will really like the car.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Of all the cars I drove at PDE 2 weeks ago ( Carrera, Carrera S, Boxster, Boxster S,) the Boxster S was by far the best balanced and most fun to drive.
I too am thinking about getting one.
Maybe I'll even sell the GT3.....
Old 03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

while the 2005 S is a fantastic car, in fact much better than a 911... [yes it's true], porsche puts small engines in to make it a junior car until the 911 is replaced by natural selection. my saleman and driver extraordinaire predicts all 911's will be mid engine soon.. [or all 911's boxsters...]

i looked at putting a 3.6 in an S a year or 2 ago, has anyone put a Gt3 or 3.6/3.8 in a 2005 yet? time to find a gt3 motor.....

and what a shifter!!! so much smoother than a gt2/3.... could have used a lower gear set as usual...
Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone put a Gt3 or 3.6/3.8 in a 2005 yet?

I haven't heard of this being done yet. A guy on the GT2/3 board recently posted of a 2003 GT3 engine, ECU, and gearbox for sale.

GT3 ENGINE

If you decide to pursue this project, let me know and I'll document it on film.

An alternative would be to ship your car to Ruf in Dallas. I've heard they are proceeding with 3.6/3.8L engine transplants. There's nothing on their website about 2005 conversions, however.

Ruf Auto Centre
Old 03-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

i think i'll drive it a while first. cornering capability seems beyond mine!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

one week into driving my new box. s....i love it... a better car than the previous generation 911, very quick, even during break in, amazing handling, great shifter and even a nice sounding engine sound...the new seats are great as is the interior, the bose stereo, ..improved structural ridigity and amazing steering feel and quickness..and i love the new front and rear end treatments..they took a great car and made it better...and i test drove everything out there before i bought this...and i just sold my 360spider...but htis car is still not a let down.....
Old 04-03-2005, 01:13 PM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Boxster S driving impressions

I have a 996tt and decided to pick up a 987S. Originally I was going to trade in the turbo for a 997S (after reading all of the raves about the 997S). Frankly, after driving the 997S, I didn't see it offering any advantages over my turbo. However, when I drove the 987S, I fell in love. So I ordered one and may end up with 2 Porsches. My Boxster S (GT Silver w/ natural brown leather, PASM and sportchrono) is in Baltimore - should have it in a week. Nice to hear F-car owners saying such strong positives about their new 987S's.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by scycle2020
one week into driving my new box. s....i love it... a better car than the previous generation 911, very quick, even during break in, amazing handling, great shifter and even a nice sounding engine sound...the new seats are great as is the interior, the bose stereo, ..improved structural ridigity and amazing steering feel and quickness..and i love the new front and rear end treatments..they took a great car and made it better...and i test drove everything out there before i bought this...and i just sold my 360spider...but htis car is still not a let down.....
hearty agreement, but my son loves the darn stereo to-from soccer abit too much! the quality of the top and its mechanism is superb, much better than a 360 spider.
and similarly, i just sold my Stradale
i am stunned at how much performance/value this car delivers; i expect my z06 to be similar in P/V.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the 987S is really impressive. I drove one a few days ago and decided to replace my 360 Spider with a black 987S. I should get it in 3 weeks... . I went for PASM, Sport chrono plus, PCM, sport seats bi-xenon and bose surround. Can't wait...

AW
Old 04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

wow, 3 modern ferraris sold for boxster s....what do you think guy? we can call porsche , offer to do an add for them, and they can give us each complementary 997gt3 next year....brillant!!!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:22 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by watt
hearty agreement, but my son loves the darn stereo to-from soccer abit too much! the quality of the top and its mechanism is superb, much better than a 360 spider.
and similarly, i just sold my Stradale
i am stunned at how much performance/value this car delivers; i expect my z06 to be similar in P/V.
are you getting the new z06? should be a screamer!!! i am on the list at my local dealership but i dont know if the funds will be there when it comes out...it would be a great compliment coupe to the boxster roadster..
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Jack Kramer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread...

I own a 993 that up until this year has been a dual purpose street/track car. I stripped it down over the winter so it's now dedicated to the track. However, I still want a p-car for the street. I was thinking about getting a used 986 S that my wife and I could share for the street. That was until this past weekend...

Our local Porsche dealer had an event Saturday to unveil their newest arrival – a Carrera GT. My wife and I went down to check it out – what absolutely incredible car. The pictures do not do it justice. It’s phenomenal in person.

While we were there we took the opportunity to drive a few Boxsters. We took back to back cruises in a 2005 base, 2005 S, 2004 S, and 2000 S. I was shocked by the difference between the 2005’s and the previous models. I had read all of the reviews but I figured the journalists were raving about the new model to sell magazines. After all, I had driven my students' Boxsters during reconiasance laps and have always been quite improessed. How could the new car be that much better?

I was wrong. The 987 seemed better in just about every way - power, shifting, exhaust note, gauges, controls, driving position, and overall attitude & composure on the road. The only thing I didn’t like was the wheels – especially the 19’s. The 18’s are livable, but they’re still not a favorite.

The practical side of me is asking are all of those improvements worth $20-25k. Probably not, but who ever buys a Porsche on logic

Quick Reply: 2005 Boxster S driving/ownership reports?