Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was told that Boxsters = crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default was told that Boxsters = crap

Ive been eyeing a new 987...

Today I was at the local Porsche mechanic. He is highly respected as the best in this area, and one of the tops in LA. I mentioned that I was thinking about a new Box S..and he says "Boxsters are s--t. There are at least 10 major problems with those cars, and they are not getting fixed with the new version. If you are going to get one, you'd better lease it. We have seen a ton of problems with those cars".

I mentioned the great magazine reviews that the 987S has been getting and he says "Yeah, the magazines told us that they are not going to mention the problems in print...but they know all about them. Same with the 996, the same problems are going on with the 997s that the 996s had. Porsche doesnt want to let us race those cars...."

Now, I normally take those words with a grain of salt, but this guy is highly respected. So, it has me wondering...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:38 AM
gabbagabbahey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford to buy new and take the depreciation hit by selling it before the warranty is up, then if you are suffering many issues like RMS, intermediate shafts ect. no big deal since Porsche will R&R. Although I don't know what Porsche's official story is on DE or track use re warranty.

Buying a used 996 or 986 out of warranty is another story.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

There are plenty of people on these boards that are very happy and have had no problems with their cars.

Additionally, I just read this. It was posted on Rennteam:

Credit to Porsche A. G. :
Porsche Boxster is "defect defiant"

Stuttgart. The Porsche Boxster is the winner of 2005’s respected car report conducted by the German Technical Inspections Association (TÜV). With a defect rating of 2.6 per cent, the mid-engine sports car displays the fewest significant defects in one of the TÜV’s main inspections. For this reason, the Association’s engineers have named the Porsche Boxster as “defect defiant” and thereby as the best car in the group of two to three year old vehicles. Positions two and three of this category went to the Mazda Demio (defect rating of 2.8 per cent) and the Audi A4 (defect rating of 3.2 per cent). For the second year running, the Porsche 911 won first place in the group of eight to nine year old as well as ten and eleven year old automobiles.

Summarized in the TÜV car report, the results are based on data gathered during 7.65 million main inspections carried out by the Association’s engineers on passenger cars registered in Germany in 2004. Though about 81 per cent of all vehicles examined at TÜV inspection stations pass without further ado, 18.7% of the inspected vehicles possess significant defects and represent a danger for road safety.

“For us, this result is the reward for and proof of our efforts to enhance quality over the past few years. Our aim is to ensure a high standard of quality not only in production, but also to lay the groundwork for a high-quality product as early as in the development phase,” said Wolfgang Dürheimer, member of the Executive Board of Management for Research and Development, with regard to the performance of the brand based in Zuffenhausen near Stuttgart.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Renquist
Intermediate

Usually people who describe a car as S**T have an axe to grind, Porsche dose have its problems with RMS and so on but you are unlucky to get them, but people do get them,,,
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonic, I too am a Porsche tech. I work for a Porsche dealer. I strongly disagreed with your "highly respected" source. A "ton" of problems with a car that has been out roughly a month?? WTF is this guy talking about? Apperently he's is also Porsche's PR guy with the media!!

Porsche "doesn't want to let us race those cars"? Why would you WANT to? They are STREET cars not RACE cars. There are so many reasons I could give you why but am not going to waste my time or yours.

Sorry but you need to find a new expert. Go drive the car for yourself. Ask current owners about their experiece. Then tell me how much you love your new Boxster.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:47 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Please ask him to enlighten us as to what these ten major problems are.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Tour18
Banned

You need another source. Try Wayne Corley at RUF USA.

888-783-6872

He is one of the owners. And yes, he drives a Boxster... For me, enough said. Or, talk to Jackie or Hans.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:42 PM
RobertG
Racer

waht region of socal is your expertif from ? westlake viallege, Woodland hills? of Norwalk? ther eare only 2 true experts with a long history that are truley respected nationally ,,,,,and I know them all.........So what region...........? giving a region wont get them in trouble
Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Tour18,
You have an impressive collection of cars...(probably in a new post) would you care to give your impressions/comparisons of each of your fine cars?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Tour18
Banned

Originally Posted by schnell987
would you care to give your impressions/comparisons of each of your fine cars?
Absolutely. And I'll post it in this board. It seems everyone wants to pick on the Boxster. It really irks me that they have Internet access and are breathing my atmosphere...

I won't do it tonight, but I will just for you.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks "tour". Im only stating what this owner of a leading shop told me. I am still considering the car and through this out for opinion sake, not to stir weak minds.

This particular shop is holding an upcoming seminar on problems with the 996 and Boxster, with recommendations on upgrades. I plan to attend and will give you the details at that point...
Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Are you sure he wasn't knee deep in Cayenne problems, like every other dealer tech?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic dB
Thanks "tour". Im only stating what this owner of a leading shop told me. I am still considering the car and through this out for opinion sake, not to stir weak minds.

This particular shop is holding an upcoming seminar on problems with the 996 and Boxster, with recommendations on upgrades. I plan to attend and will give you the details at that point...
There you go. The car has problems, but, wait, I have all the upgrades you need to make it better. Happy to sell them to you, with Porsche labor rates too. I'm curious as to what the 10 major problems this "expert" states are existing for all these years. You can argue RMS, but what else?

I have a 996 C4S, and have just signed the order for a 2005 Boxster S to add to the garage. I track the car, drive it like I stole it, just got done with the 30K mile maintenance, and have had 0 problems with it. The RMS problem is out there, and you can look at the extensive discussions that have been made. I will put my 996 up against any car in the same price range in terms of reliability and problem free status given what I expect and make the car do.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Are you sure he wasn't knee deep in Cayenne problems, like every other dealer tech?
Ouch.
Next time, tell me that one's coming, OK Eric
Old 02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Tour18
Banned

Guys, we are just talking here. I like to hear what everyone has to say. I bet Sonic dB's mechanic has first hand information we could all use. Sorry if I came accross rudely.

Quick Reply: was told that Boxsters = crap