Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior door handle vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 07:41 PM
stroem
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior door handle vibration

I just picked up a 2009 Cayman and there is a rattle from the driver's side interior door handle. If I touch it, the rattle goes away. There seems to be very slight play in the handle.

I have seen a bunch of threads for fixing floppy handles, which this car doesn't have, but I'm thinking it's a related problem.

Before I disassemble the door, has anyone else had this problem? Is there a simple fix?

thanks
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
nicetheory
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Start with this little guy securing the handle to the lever. If it’s snug, your rattle may be coming from inside the door panel.

Last edited by nicetheory; Yesterday at 11:39 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 259 Posts

If it's not that screw, a cheap and easy fix is adhesive felt tape. Buy a roll on Amazon and stick it somewhere under the handle where you won't see it. May take a little trial and error but this works pretty well for interior rattles.

If you eventually take off the door panel you can check inside to see if something needs fixing, but the felt is an easy and reversible thing to try. If you had the floppy handle problem you'd know: that's pretty obvious when it happens.
The following users liked this post:
nicetheory (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Sage advice from MrMoose, as always.

Come to think on it, I recall having a small rattle coming from my door handle when I first picked up my Cayman. I was considering the felt trick MrMoose just highlighted but the lever broke. My door rattle went away after I replaced the lever and reassembled the door, so I didn’t need to apply felt nor have I ever thought of it again.
Old Today, 03:09 PM
stroem
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone. Yes, I did check the bolt, it's tight.

I picked up some felt tape and applied it. I just need a break in weather to get the car out and see if it fixed the rattle. It's the only rattle in this car and has been driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: Interior door handle vibration