Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnose my 987.2 coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 12:26 AM
dovecom
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Diagnose my 987.2 coolant leak!

The leak is on the extreme passenger side behind the wheel. Seems under the reservoir.
Just installed new water pump/thermostat. Used a vacuum fill. It held vacuum well enough to fully fill the system. I test drove it twice in town then parked for a week with the rear jacked up. Went to change oil, checked coolant and it was way down. Engine off I Poured in coolant and could hear drips and then see a puddle. So it seems unlikely to be the water pump.

The original leak that led me to replace the pump happened similarly. Leak while parked.
the old pump did have a bit of bearing play so I thought I’d solved it. Guess I wasted a lot of time, but at least now I know how to do that job.

So. The system holds a a vacuum with slight, slow loss. Is this likely the reservoir or a hose from the filler tube or reservoir to engine?
How does it work fine with no loss during operation and then drain down while parked?

very confused.
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, on the upside, at least it's easier to look for a leak when the car is parked 😬

The behavior is odd though. I had something similar where it would dump some coolant when parked also. I replaced the coolant tank and the pressure vent but I think the vent was actually the culprit. The tank is annoying and fiddly to remove and a lot more expensive than the pressure valve so I'd start with the cap/valve. I think my mistake was not using a proper lubricant on the o-rings during installation the first time I replaced it. The second time I used silicone and it went together much more smoothly and I didn't need the tighteningn of the bolts to fully seat it. I was able to twist it while pushing and seat it fully. Then I installed the bolts.

Quick Reply: Diagnose my 987.2 coolant leak!