Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Datadisplay Project "ChronoData"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 04:22 PM
SlakkerRacingDev
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 100 Posts

Are you looking for hex translations or just the details behind the code?
Old 07-25-2024, 05:03 AM
Speedgelb
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
@Speedgelb : Unglaublich cool! (und bonus Punkte fuer die beste Farbe in Porsche's Katalog).

I'm interested in this, in general, and happy to help test but my projects are sort of slow. I have a Tiptronic to rebuild on our car which I anticipate taking me a little while (never done it before, fingers crossed). That said, let me know if I can help in any way with this project, this is amazing work and the choices you've made on the display look great.

MfG
thank you for the kind words!

Originally Posted by SlakkerRacingDev
Are you looking for hex translations or just the details behind the code?
I'm looking for the details behind the DTC number, so a short description of the fault. Especially P1xxx and P3xxx manufacture/chassis specific codes for 997.1 (and other variants of 997) Some overlap with the 996 (me7.8 vs 7.8.2) ones but many are different. At the moment around 50% are covered.
And to display just the P-code without the text is not ideal, if you additional have to take out your phone to search it online.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:05 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

OK, so I've built an AI that I call Grommet that I plan to release for free (assuming the backend processing fees don't get too crazy) to the community. His initial scope is assistance with troubleshooting DTC codes for 2000-2008 9x6/9x7. My 20yo is building the backend API interface as a summer learning project and while it's still really chunky (the custom liquid container is displaying the html code instead of formatting it), it is actually functional. If you don't mind giving it a try, we could use some initial test traffic. I've made it visible at the bottom of sr.dev and you just need to tell him what car you have and that you would like information on DTC fault codes. The session is persistent and so after that point, you can just start entering the codes. Once that get's old, you can shoot an email to brandon@sr.dev and I can dig up the document he's using as a reference and send it you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slakker:
Julian_KCMO (07-25-2024), Speedgelb (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:33 AM
Speedgelb
Track Day

Originally Posted by Slakker
OK, so I've built an AI that I call Grommet that I plan to release for free (assuming the backend processing fees don't get too crazy) to the community. His initial scope is assistance with troubleshooting DTC codes for 2000-2008 9x6/9x7. My 20yo is building the backend API interface as a summer learning project and while it's still really chunky (the custom liquid container is displaying the html code instead of formatting it), it is actually functional. If you don't mind giving it a try, we could use some initial test traffic. I've made it visible at the bottom of sr.dev and you just need to tell him what car you have and that you would like information on DTC fault codes. The session is persistent and so after that point, you can just start entering the codes. Once that get's old, you can shoot an email to brandon@sr.dev and I can dig up the document he's using as a reference and send it you.
Now that's a really really nice idea and project.
Also highly appreciate the help!

I tried it out with 2 faults I'm aware of, that are specific.
p1163
p3081

the P3081 worked fine but the p1163 pointed to a wrong description. It should be about the oil pressure switch. Instead it stated a faulty o2 sensor.
The following users liked this post:
Slakker (07-25-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 10:36 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Strange. Here is the answer I show from the logs....

User
Jul 25, 2024, 7:15 AM
P1163

Grommet-asst
Jul 25, 2024, 7:16 AM
The P1163 fault code on your 2008 Cayman indicates a problem related to the oil pressure switch. Here are the details regarding this diagnostic trouble code:

Diagnostic Conditions:
Power supply voltage must be greater than 7 V.
Ignition must be on for at least 60 seconds without the engine running.
Possible Fault Causes:
Open circuit or short circuit to B+/ground in the signal line of the oil pressure switch.
Oil pressure switch is faulty.
DME control module may be faulty.
Step-By-Step Diagnostic Procedure:
Check Power Supply Voltage:

Use a multimeter to verify that the power supply voltage at the oil pressure switch is greater than 7 V.
Inspect Wiring:

Visually inspect the wiring and connector associated with the oil pressure switch for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or bad connections.
Test the Oil Pressure Switch:

If the wiring appears intact, you will need to test the resistance of the oil pressure switch using a multimeter. Refer to your service manual for the expected resistance values to ensure it's functioning correctly.
Check Oil Pressure:

If the oil pressure switch tests as functional but the P1163 code persists, you may need to measure the actual oil pressure using an oil pressure gauge. If there’s no oil pressure, it can lead to the switch being triggered.
Clear Fault Code:

After performing the checks and necessary repairs, use your PIWIS or Durametric cable to clear the P1163 fault code and monitor if it comes back after a test drive.
Further Diagnostic with DME:

If the code persists despite checking the switch and the wiring, it may indicate an issue with the DME itself. Further diagnostic tools may be required to isolate the fault.
Ensure you proceed with caution; if unsure about any procedures, it may be best to consult with a qualified technician[1]``[2]. If you need further assistance or have more codes, feel free to ask!

[1][2]

See attached doc for further assistance though I'm not sure how long I can leave it posted...
Attached Images
Old 07-26-2024, 10:59 AM
Speedgelb
Track Day

Originally Posted by Slakker
Strange. Here is the answer I show from the logs....

User
Jul 25, 2024, 7:15 AM
P1163

Grommet-asst
Jul 25, 2024, 7:16 AM
The P1163 fault code on your 2008 Cayman indicates a problem related to the oil pressure switch. Here are the details regarding this diagnostic trouble code:

Diagnostic Conditions:
Power supply voltage must be greater than 7 V.
Ignition must be on for at least 60 seconds without the engine running.
Possible Fault Causes:
Open circuit or short circuit to B+/ground in the signal line of the oil pressure switch.
Oil pressure switch is faulty.
DME control module may be faulty.
Step-By-Step Diagnostic Procedure:
Check Power Supply Voltage:

Use a multimeter to verify that the power supply voltage at the oil pressure switch is greater than 7 V.
Inspect Wiring:

Visually inspect the wiring and connector associated with the oil pressure switch for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or bad connections.
Test the Oil Pressure Switch:

If the wiring appears intact, you will need to test the resistance of the oil pressure switch using a multimeter. Refer to your service manual for the expected resistance values to ensure it's functioning correctly.
Check Oil Pressure:

If the oil pressure switch tests as functional but the P1163 code persists, you may need to measure the actual oil pressure using an oil pressure gauge. If there’s no oil pressure, it can lead to the switch being triggered.
Clear Fault Code:

After performing the checks and necessary repairs, use your PIWIS or Durametric cable to clear the P1163 fault code and monitor if it comes back after a test drive.
Further Diagnostic with DME:

If the code persists despite checking the switch and the wiring, it may indicate an issue with the DME itself. Further diagnostic tools may be required to isolate the fault.
Ensure you proceed with caution; if unsure about any procedures, it may be best to consult with a qualified technician[1]``[2]. If you need further assistance or have more codes, feel free to ask!

[1][2]

See attached doc for further assistance though I'm not sure how long I can leave it posted...
Thank you very much for this! I have saved it.

And I also have sended you a PM.

Regarding Grommet, this is a copy of the output:

User: P1163
Grommet: The fault code P1163 for a 2008 Porsche Cayman (987) typically relates to a problem with the oxygen sensor. Specifically, it indicates "O2 Sensor Correction Below Minimum Limit." This can suggest that the engine control unit (ECU) is detecting an issue with the oxygen sensor's ability to report the proper air-fuel mixture or that the sensor itself is malfunctioning.
Slakker (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:04 AM
Slakker
Race Car

OK, awesome feedback. Thank you. That’s an anomaly that may take some digging to figure out.
Old 07-28-2024, 08:23 PM
Slakker
Race Car

I was able to replicate the P1163 issue and believe I have retuned to fix it and provide improved accuracy of results.

Last edited by Slakker; 07-28-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Speedgelb (07-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 987 Datadisplay Project "ChronoData"