Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Window Drop Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 05:11 PM
hukdizzle
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Window Drop Diagnosis

Hi Everyone,

Working through some small issues on a 987.1 S I picked up this winter and it has an issue with the window drop on the driver side when actuating the door latch with the outside handle. It seems to me that the actual microswitches within the door components are operating properly. However, it seems like there may be some component/linkage worn out or out of adjustment between the outside door handle and the door latch mechanism possibly? I am hoping someone here could help with the diagnosis and review the video I posted.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2024, 08:10 PM
Tony Valenzano
Rennlist Member

Having same issue after car came out of shop. I'm was thinking it is an electrical/programming issue due to having the battery disconnected. My car is now officially a 'track only car' so I wasn't going to worry about it and just keep windows rolled down; but if you have a fix please post!

Originally Posted by hukdizzle
Hi Everyone,

Working through some small issues on a 987.1 S I picked up this winter and it has an issue with the window drop on the driver side when actuating the door latch with the outside handle. It seems to me that the actual microswitches within the door components are operating properly. However, it seems like there may be some component/linkage worn out or out of adjustment between the outside door handle and the door latch mechanism possibly? I am hoping someone here could help with the diagnosis and review the video I posted.

https://youtu.be/56zksQm-6I4?si=JpqDwibNuofLi7ue

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2024, 08:34 PM
hukdizzle
3rd Gear

Bumping this I guess, was hoping someone might have some insight!

I recently spent some time last night lubricating the latch itself with a dry PTFE lube and did not find it to resolve the issue either. I feel like there is a switch that is broken here that is not immediately evident. When opening the door from the inside door handle the window stays down as it should and the latch never gets to the point where it reaches the microswitch at the bottom of the travel so I do not believe it to be a combination of the switches. One thing I found very odd is that manual manipulation of the latch itself from the fully closed position to the fully open position actually causes the window to actuate properly (Latch fully open and end microswitch engaged and the window drops. Latch fully closed and top microswitch engaged and the window rises). This behavior does NOT happen on the passenger side where the operation is as expected.

At this point I am assuming two potential issues as the cause here.
  • An unknown microswitch within the door operation/logic is broken and I have yet to identify or locate it. So far I can determine that there is clearly a switch in both the outer and inner door handles, as well as two switches within the door latch mechanism itself. Perhaps I am missing one here and someone knows of another? I am curious if anyone knows all door state microswitch locations?
  • An unknown microswitch directly within the door latch mechanism is broken and not indicating the appropriate door state to the controller while other switches within the mechanism are operating as expected to provide basic functionality while not knowing the true state of the door.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:43 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 551 Posts

There is a mechanism inside the door, indeed.

Let me see if I can find the write up that I like, that talks about how to replace it, and what the symptoms look like.

ETA: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-boxs...p-vw-part.html

Cheers

Last edited by Zirconocene; 04-26-2024 at 01:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zirconocene:
Cemlo (04-27-2024), hukdizzle (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:04 PM
hukdizzle
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
There is a mechanism inside the door, indeed.

Let me see if I can find the write up that I like, that talks about how to replace it, and what the symptoms look like.

ETA: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-boxs...p-vw-part.html

Cheers
This was exactly the information I needed. I went ahead and found a Febi unit for a reasonable deal and ordered it. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Help With Window Drop Diagnosis