Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

anyone install a 997.1 GT3 center radiator? 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024 | 09:44 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Oh... as far as needing a bigger radiator, I have a oil/water trans cooler dumping additional heat into the water. Even in southeast summer heat, have never had an issue with water temp... oil is a different story...
Old 03-15-2024 | 10:24 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

I could do a step by step if some wanted, but I don't have A/C........... Race Car
Old 03-15-2024 | 10:30 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Yea, Scott, we can start another thread about keeping the PDK cooler... No question the factory pdk cooler runs off the rad water. If the PDK oil runs upwards of 270 degrees, that in turn will push the water temps up higher too... a never ending circle.

Clearly, a larger center rad will help, as will a larger PDK cooler (like from LN Engineering - but that too remains on a water cooled unit), then there are separate air coolers for PDK, then Diff cooler, add electric power steering and take the factory power steering cooler off.

All the above should fix all and allow you to run the car anywhere at any temp

But lets start with the large center cooler, exhausted up through the smile... See where we go from there
The following users liked this post:
Kinderelk (07-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 10:31 AM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Scott, did you refil your cooling system with the vacuum gadget?
Old 04-12-2024 | 11:54 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy sanborn
Yea, Scott, we can start another thread about keeping the PDK cooler... No question the factory pdk cooler runs off the rad water. If the PDK oil runs upwards of 270 degrees, that in turn will push the water temps up higher too... a never ending circle.

Clearly, a larger center rad will help, as will a larger PDK cooler (like from LN Engineering - but that too remains on a water cooled unit), then there are separate air coolers for PDK, then Diff cooler, add electric power steering and take the factory power steering cooler off.

All the above should fix all and allow you to run the car anywhere at any temp

But lets start with the large center cooler, exhausted up through the smile... See where we go from there
@andy sanborn Have you started this project?

I'm thinking that I may attempt either all (GT3 center radiator) of most of it (non GT3 center radiator) this summer.
Old 04-12-2024 | 02:07 PM
andy sanborn
Rennlist Member

Duke;

I presently have 3 rad set up, but have been overheating, so I am updating to the GT3 angled front rad (I already have the 997.1 GT3 front bumper so I have the smile hole) to attempt to get better airflow.

Ironically, I have the front bumper off and see that the 997.1 GT3 front bumper is very non compatible with stock air flow directors (which funnel air from the bumper openings to the rads) and I am thinking just changing to the GT3 air directors will help all by itself.

So, short answer is yes, I have order all the parts and am waiting for it all to come in

The following users liked this post:
The Duke (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: anyone install a 997.1 GT3 center radiator? 987.2