Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive Battery Terminal Cable issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 08:54 PM
Lulu1984S
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audible warning gong won't shut off

After having many 911's, I recently purchased an '84 928S with 72k miles. My plan is to restore it and hold it in my collection. I recently replaced the battery with no issues, inspected and cleaned the cables. Upon completion the car started as usual, those electrical accessories that worked before the battery replacement still work, but now the audible gong stays on all the time. No warning lights are illuminated on the dash, doors are closed , etc. , but gong keeps gonging while running, any thoughts appreciated.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:59 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the forums! You should post this in the 928 forum.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:04 PM
Furlectricbonnet
AutoX

Default Thanks a bunch

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
In my case, I'm still hunting down the culprit behind a constant generator warning. Of the things I still need to investigate, I thought I'd work on this part, since it seemed like good preventive maintenance. That said, the original post was starting to show small signs of flaking on the coating. I wonder if there was an issue, originally, with that part of the post manufacturing, which is contributing to some of the issues which these cars experience with these parts. This is just speculation on my part.

For the bolt I ended up buying an aluminum connecting rod (https://www.mcmaster.com/6516K141/). I threaded this a bit further down then cut it to size. I chose aluminum for this so as to take advantage of improved conductivity and, hopefully, improved weather resistance. Where I felt it was appropriate, I tried to use aluminum nuts, as well.

Cheers

Finally got the bolt and cable off. Mine was a nightmare. Seemed much harder than others made it sound lol. Anyways, going to take a page from your book and rebuild it. Thanks for all the safe advice!
Old 07-22-2024, 10:14 PM
R00Boxster
2nd Gear

Default +++ battery cable

Hi everyone,
new to this forum, sad to see that i am not the only one with these ++ battery cable issues.
I have been dealing with exact issue for last 6 mos. Porsche dealer told me that parts were not available to replace this post/cable.
how difficult is it to reach this firewall connector? do I have to remove dashboard?

Ray F
Old 07-23-2024, 12:03 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

On the inside? No, you don't need to remove the dash, just cram your head in the passenger footwell and move some of the flexible trim out of the way. I won't say it's easy but it's not crazy hard.

But usually the problem is in the pin near the battery on the other side of the firewall. Have you tried just cleaning that up? Remove the connector, brush off any corrosion from the pin and use a round brass brush to clean out the female connector. Then reassemble with a coating of dielectric grease (to help prevent future corrosion) and see if that improves things.

Be safe and disconnect and isolate the negative battery terminal first!
Old 07-25-2024, 10:05 PM
R00Boxster
2nd Gear

Default +++ Battery Cable

My female connector ( proprietary terminal) was not salvageable. this whole ++ cable was completely eaten up with acid at the battery side and female connector was badly rusted.
I cleaned it (and terminal post) up and soaked in baking soda water, brushed it but just too far gone...
went to dealer to buy parts but got a smart a** clerk that told me that these pats are no longer available.
I was thinking about removing firewall connection terminal stud and threaded it so I can secured a new cable ++ to it
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by R00Boxster
My female connector ( proprietary terminal) was not salvageable. this whole ++ cable was completely eaten up with acid at the battery side and female connector was badly rusted.
I cleaned it (and terminal post) up and soaked in baking soda water, brushed it but just too far gone...
went to dealer to buy parts but got a smart a** clerk that told me that these pats are no longer available.
I was thinking about removing firewall connection terminal stud and threaded it so I can secured a new cable ++ to it
1) The parts seem to be available at my normal online supplier and others.
2) Someone,Zirconocene, did just what you are suggesting and posted it several posts up.

Just make sure you disconnect the negative first. Not only will electricity will kill you, it will hurt the whole time you're dying.

Quick Reply: Positive Battery Terminal Cable issues