Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone know where to get 987 trailer hitches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 11:11 AM
caymandan
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone know where to get 987 trailer hitches?

seems like I'm a year or two late to the party, and every single company/person is no longer around. If I get a hitch that can tow my track bike, then I can ditch my 2nd car and enjoy the drive to the track.

currently looking like I have to convince someone to custom fab one for me, would much rather buy an already-tested solution
Old 10-22-2023, 11:39 AM
DoctorJ
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hitch

Originally Posted by caymandan
seems like I'm a year or two late to the party, and every single company/person is no longer around. If I get a hitch that can tow my track bike, then I can ditch my 2nd car and enjoy the drive to the track.

currently looking like I have to convince someone to custom fab one for me, would much rather buy an already-tested solution
Try “https://www.porschehitch.com/“
Old 10-22-2023, 07:10 PM
DoctorJ
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Found this old thread too:
https://www.renntech.org/tutorials/a...hitch-for-987/

Might join that forum and see if you can track down whoever posted it.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:20 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Been looking for two years on and off for my 981. Wilwood retired and sold his business to Sporttows which went out of business during COVID. There are recent threads on installing a very short receiver but it is not hidden. You have to bolt it on and remove. Gururack makes a bicycle rack similar in design to the Wilwood hitch, but not sure it is strong enough for a tire trailer. You would have to severely alter the bike rack to use as a hitch. I'm probably going to try the short receiver route this winter.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:44 PM
caymandan
AutoX

I need the hitch to be able to tow my track bike, which is going to be waaaay to heavy to risk with a bike rack receiver. I don't think the removable amazon modified route will work either, I think I'll have to get 0one custom fabbed up based on the pictures of the wilwood style. unless I can track down a purpose built one, I'll likely defer this project until next summer and post all the info along the way here.

I haven't figured out where the drawings are on the rennlist post, but I chatted with one of the guys who made a similar request in that forum and he hit a dead end as well
Old 10-22-2023, 07:57 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

The short receiver is bolted to a steel plate on the backside of the aluminum bumper with four holes drilled through the bumper. IMO the weak point of this is the two bumper mounts to the car. In the original Wilwood hitch, believe for a 986 he replaced the two bumper mounting tubes. I doubt you can easily replicate the Wilwood center bolt method which is what the gururack uses. If you develop or find a better hitch method than the short receiver you will be a popular person.

Last edited by Kitc2246; 10-22-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:04 PM
caymandan
AutoX

I like the simplicity of that solution but lacking the upgraded crush bars, there is no way in heck I would tow my track bike behind that.

I'm going to spend a few weeks collecting as much info as I can then take it to my buddy who builds hot rods and see if his smart brain can't figure something out. crying shame that wilwood/sporttows are no more
Old 10-27-2023, 11:40 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

I have the one from SporTTows (formerly Willwood Systems) and it's great. Any hitch for 996/997 and 986/997 are all interchangeable as they used the same rear bumper parts under the plastic bumper cover, so keep an eye out for not just 987 kits.

They are absolutely worth every penny if you can find one used. I've been using this trailer/hitch set up on two different 987 for 5 years now and no problems. Have even done 3 hours of continuous driving at 95+ mph and 5 hours of continuous driving at 75+ mph and even the trailer wheel bearings are holding up. Original trailer tires. No issues. I recently attended the BBORR and amongst $1 million rigs/trailers, I think my DIY trailer got the most attention and praise. This was a 'do it once, do it right' purchase for me. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Zach L; 10-27-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone know where to get 987 trailer hitches?