Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to diagnose this window regular problem on a Boxster 987

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 12:45 PM
JPPoulin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to diagnose this window regular problem on a Boxster 987

Hello awesome Porsche owners!

The driver-side power window on my 2006 Boxster 987 started acting up last week. At first, I noticed that the motor would keep running past the top level (forcing me to depress 'down' to stop it). After a few cycles of this happening the situation worsened as I could hear that nasty sound of the cable grinding against the mechanism while the motor kept running while the window stayed in position.

Viewing several videos on diagnosing/replacing the regulator, I found that mine was fortunately not damaged. One of the cables had unlatched from the regulator's pulley, and the assembly appeared to function still after I remounted the unlatched cable.

Unfortunately upon putting everything back, the motor still has the first problem described above (it keeps running even with the window at the top)

I have seen in a video that one could 'reprogram' the regulator by pressing the up/down button for 5 seconds. I have tried that but even past five seconds the motor keeps grinding without the regulator appearing to 'learn' anything... (and I can't stand the sounds I hear from the regulator!)

I think the cables / pulley / motor can be salvaged but somehow the 'smarts' inside the regulator appear to be malfunctioning (it no longer senses the window top / bottom positions)

What do you think I can do to improve this problem?
Old 11-13-2023, 06:12 AM
Aussie skypig
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

When the cable came off my regulator. (Horrible noise) I bought a whole new regulator from Pelican Parts (shipped to Australia)
When my mechanic fitted it, it was obvious the old one had damaged wheels and that’s why the cable was out.
Be happy it’s not the motor

Quick Reply: How to diagnose this window regular problem on a Boxster 987