Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure - Coolant In Sump Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 11:52 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Engine Failure - Coolant In Sump Plate

Hi All - I bought a 987.1S with a “blown motor”. This was never confirmed not investigated. The PO was driving one day entering the freeway, the car hesitated around 55, CELs came on and the car shut down. He couldn’t restart so he had it towed to the dealer. All they did was confirm the engine e couldn’t be turned in either direction by hand and gave him a huge estimate to investigate further.

Fast forward. I now own the car. I drained the oil (looked normal with a tiny bit of fine silver glitter), opened up the filter (a tiny bit more glitter) and just dropped the sump plate. Here’s where I’d like some input.

As you can see from the pictures, there was just sludge in the sump, maybe a bit of coolant, but mostly a gelly-like substance and some sludge. My next step is to pull the plugs to see if it’s hydro locked.

Any one else ever see/experience this?

Old 09-24-2023, 11:25 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello, I definitely see some coolant mixed in with the oil. I have seen my fair share of coolant/oil contamination, but I will say the gel that I see is puzzling. I also see what appears to be some type of "growth" in there? I am curious as to how long the motor sat before you pulled the sump.
I am also wondering if someone tried to put in some sort of "additive" after the fact?
I clearly see why you are puzzled about the gel.
Old 09-24-2023, 03:34 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
Hello, I definitely see some coolant mixed in with the oil. I have seen my fair share of coolant/oil contamination, but I will say the gel that I see is puzzling. I also see what appears to be some type of "growth" in there? I am curious as to how long the motor sat before you pulled the sump.
I am also wondering if someone tried to put in some sort of "additive" after the fact?
I clearly see why you are puzzled about the gel.
@redlightrich you bring up a good point and observation. Time may have played a hand in the current state. The engine blew about 2 months ago. It sat for about 6 weeks until I drained the oil and removed the filter. It then sat for another 2-3 weeks with no oil in it, but still all sealed up. I hear what you are saying about "growth", but have never really seen or heard of an engine being a bacterial growing ground - maybe it is...

Anyway, I'm hoping to pull the plugs within a week or so to learn a bit more.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - Coolant In Sump Plate