Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagonal brace bolt issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 03:15 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Diagonal brace bolt issue

I’m finally putting the car back together after replacing the cv boots and have run into an issue. The diagonal brace bolt on the driver side only goes in a couple of turns before stopping. The same bolt works fine on the other side. Did I mess up the threads in the chassis somehow? How do I proceed? I presume the answer is not to force it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note that the bolt is not completely smothered in blue loctite; it’s an artifact of the camera and light.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:50 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

It's hard to tell but the female threads do look a little messed up, and the fact that the bolt is fine on the other side reinforces that. It's quite likely the boil got cross-threaded so, yeah, forcing it would not be a good idea.

As a next step I'd try a thread restorer/chaser. Not a tap: that cuts threads, a thread restorer just bends them back into place. I've had good luck repairing issues like this by doing that.

Worst case you may need to drill out the existing threads and use a helicoil, not super difficult and not the end of the world.

The following users liked this post:
KCShelby (10-06-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 04:27 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
It's hard to tell but the female threads do look a little messed up, and the fact that the bolt is fine on the other side reinforces that. It's quite likely the boil got cross-threaded so, yeah, forcing it would not be a good idea.

As a next step I'd try a thread restorer/chaser. Not a tap: that cuts threads, a thread restorer just bends them back into place. I've had good luck repairing issues like this by doing that.

Worst case you may need to drill out the existing threads and use a helicoil, not super difficult and not the end of the world.
I hadn’t heard of a thread restorer, that certainly sounds like a good place to start. Just to verify, you mean something like this?
Lang Tools 2584 15-Piece Metric Thread Restorer Set, Black , Gray https://a.co/d/hz0PNRE
Old 09-11-2023, 12:26 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

Yeah, that's exactly it. Just make sure whatever kit you get has the right size and pitch for that bolt.
vitaminC (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 09:25 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 518 Posts

If you have an angle grinder, you can make 4 vertical cuts perpendicular to the threads, spaced evenly around a bolt, and use that as a thread chaser. The gaps along the length of the bolt will serve to catch any crud that gets "flushed out" as you restore the threads.

I had the same issue with one of my bolts and was able to fix it this way. Remember to use some oil when you fix the threads; that will help the restoration.

Good luck
Cemlo (09-13-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 10:43 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
If you have an angle grinder, you can make 4 vertical cuts perpendicular to the threads, spaced evenly around a bolt, and use that as a thread chaser. The gaps along the length of the bolt will serve to catch any crud that gets "flushed out" as you restore the threads.

I had the same issue with one of my bolts and was able to fix it this way. Remember to use some oil when you fix the threads; that will help the restoration.

Good luck
Thanks for the additional suggestions! I did order some appropriate oil to go with the thread restorer kit. We’ll find out next weekend…
Old 09-12-2023, 02:04 PM
XuTVJet
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts

That photo appears to depict that the threads in the chassis captured nut to be largely gone. Did the bolt pull out metal when you removed it?
Old 09-12-2023, 05:24 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XuTVJet
That photo appears to depict that the threads in the chassis captured nut to be largely gone. Did the bolt pull out metal when you removed it?
I think- hope- that the threads are still in there. There wasn’t any obvious stuff that came out with the bolt. And that hole is not easy to photograph, so it’s probably out of focus. We’ll find out this weekend when I’m back home and have new tools to try!
Old 09-13-2023, 01:44 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 518 Posts

Those holes just naturally seem to have the threading start higher than you would think; the stripped-looking parts are meant to be that way. What I think OP will find is that some of the crud that you can see on the parts that are threaded will come out on the chaser and life will be much better after that.

Of course, there is the constant reminder to folks that bolts should always be started by hand, to avoid the dreaded cross threading.

Cheers
vitaminC (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 02:52 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Similar problem on a Lotus Elise steel subframe. Solved by drilling out the holes and tapping for one size larger bolts.

That had a side-effect of making a certain operation on that car much safer. Off-topic here: If you have an Elise, PM me.

Originally Posted by vitaminC
I’m finally putting the car back together after replacing the cv boots and have run into an issue. The diagonal brace bolt on the driver side only goes in a couple of turns before stopping. The same bolt works fine on the other side. Did I mess up the threads in the chassis somehow? How do I proceed? I presume the answer is not to force it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note that the bolt is not completely smothered in blue loctite; it’s an artifact of the camera and light.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:08 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

blame any messed up/stripped or mangled threads on the previous owner or a mechanic. ...works for me.

but, honestly, it looks like there may just be a few metal shards in there. a good blast of air or brake fluid in there might be worth a try before doing anything else.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 09-14-2023 at 01:12 AM.
vitaminC (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 01:44 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the exact same issue on my now departed cayman S.

they used two different size bolts depending on the year/model, and if you used the torque for the big bolt, with the small bolt, here you are…..

the issue is that the threads are in a part that is welded on, like a thin walled nut, and it’s not the strongest weld….. so there is a possibility instead of tapping a bigger size, the welded and threaded part will snap off.

if you Google around about it there are pics of the threaded part where it’s welded…..

sorry I can’t be more helpful, I dealt with it a few years ago.

-Eric

check out the following for pics of the welded part.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/82573-captive-nut-holding-diagonal-brace-body.html

Last edited by Eric Kessel; 09-14-2023 at 01:53 AM.
vitaminC (09-14-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 01:56 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Well… unfortunately, the thread chaser didn’t change much. As with the bolt, it goes in for maybe 1.5 turns and then that’s it. The bolt itself is fine. Even with a decent amount of force and oil it doesn’t want to proceed. At this point I think I will just put it back together except for that bolt, then take it to a shop to let them sort it out.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:29 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Finally back on the road. I used a tap to clean up the threads and it all went back together fine. No problems getting the bolt to the specified torque.

The following 2 users liked this post by vitaminC:
fatmike (09-25-2023), KCShelby (10-06-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:10 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

YAY!
vitaminC (09-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Diagonal brace bolt issue